Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2020, 02:41 PM

Default what box do I need?

I've used an mbox pro 3 in my studio for nearly a decade and its time for an upgrade. I mix in 5.1 or stereo typically but would like an option to upgrade to Atmos in the future... And I only need 2 inputs for recording... I have pro tools ultimate atm... Do I need a mtrx studio? I'm so out of the loop...

Thanks!
http://www.loveloftstudio.com
Old 12-29-2020, 04:37 PM

Default Re: what box do I need?

Find a second hand Omni and you can do 7.1.2 with using the "CUE" output as the heights. You lose monitor control but if you're able to control and calibrate your monitors outside of the Omni, like me with JBL LSR4300 series, you're set.

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system
Old 12-30-2020, 06:47 AM

In my home studio, I went from mixing 5.1 with an MBox Pro 3, to mixing 7.1.4 with a Metric Halo LIO-8. You can add Metric Halo interfaces as needed to make a bigger system. This makes it price competitive with MTRX Studio.
Old 12-30-2020, 10:21 AM

Omni is fine, but the OP would need an HDN or HDX card to use it(along with Ultimate software and a DigiLink license)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-30-2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
In my home studio, I went from mixing 5.1 with an MBox Pro 3, to mixing 7.1.4 with a Metric Halo LIO-8. You can add Metric Halo interfaces as needed to make a bigger system. This makes it price competitive with MTRX Studio.
How? With only 8 outputs?
Old 12-30-2020, 01:48 PM

Yes, I saw you could do it with the Metric Halo LIO8 too even with only 8 outputs. ARticle here: https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...tor-controller

But it probably too complicated for me. I just want to plug **** in and it works . Or at least have someone walk me through doing it exactly. But it says in that article that I would have trouble going from the MTRX Studio to my LSR4328 AES ins... Why exactly? cant I get some kind of converter for the Mtrx studio's outs?
Old 12-30-2020, 01:57 PM

Oh, and now I see that Reichman is the very Reichman who wrote the article to which I just referred!

How much would you charge hourly to consult with you on this Reichman???
Old 12-31-2020, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound View Post
How? With only 8 outputs?
Hello TVPostSound:

I feel like the Metric Halo sales guy (trust me, I'm not on payroll ).

•Standard-issue LIO-8 has 8 AES I/O and 8 analog I/O. I was able to use this in my setup for 7.1.4.

•With one LIO-8 you can add a $225 AES card and get 16 AES I/O. This is the all digital solution and by far the best price/performance for Atmos.

•With two LIO-8s you have 16 analog I/O. This is the all analog solution. Your monitor controller in the Metric Halo land can span any number of interfaces. Very flexible setup.

Quote:
Oh, and now I see that Reichman is the very Reichman who wrote the article to which I just referred!

How much would you charge hourly to consult with you on this Reichman???
Ha! I'm totally happy to post here and give you tips, but I'm probably not as good a resource as a sales rep at Dale Pro Audio or RSPE. PM me and we can talk about it.

Quote:
But it probably too complicated for me. I just want to plug **** in and it works . Or at least have someone walk me through doing it exactly. But it says in that article that I would have trouble going from the MTRX Studio to my LSR4328 AES ins... Why exactly? cant I get some kind of converter for the Mtrx studio's outs?
If you have JBL LSR4328s and a MTRX Studio, your best bet is to go analog into the speakers. There's nothing wrong with that, and MTRX is deeply integrated with Pro Tools and Eucon. But I'll be honest, I noticed a lower noise floor and better midrange detail when I switched to AES digital connections to my JBLs.
Old 01-01-2021, 07:38 AM

But wait, i'm a fan of low noise floor and mid-range detail! Why is analog the best bet with a MTRX?

thanks reichman! and happy new year!
Old 01-01-2021, 07:43 AM

ah I see the mtrx studio just doesn't have AES outs and i guess convertors for the other outs just don't work so good. I see the MTRX does have aes outs but you need to buy cards which end up being another $2k a pop... hmmm