Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2022, 12:26 PM

Default Perpetual PT Studio License „expired“

Hi Everyone,

As I saw several people have problems with their Studio License after
the move from PT Perpetual to PT Studio perpetual.

In my Avid link I can download and Install PT Studio, but when I want to start
PT Studio, it says, my license is expired.

I hope for some help from a nice Avid employee :)

Last year, I had a problem with finding out my perpetual license has vanished, due to a not notified switch
through an update plan, that had ended my perpetual license and moved it into a subscription one.
Luckily Jeffro helped me with getting back my perpetual license.

Now today I found out, if I had booked an update plan in Nov. 2021, when I got my perp. License back,
I would own PT Studio for about 105 Euro year. I didn’t do it back then because I don’t need the latest update everytime it pops up, when I have no trouble.

But Not subscribing in Nov. I deeply worry I now have to pay over 400 Euro to make the move to PT Studio,
And I am not sure if this move is completely fair.
Of course I would be willing to instantly book the update plan, like I could have in Nov. 2021, in order to be able to also move to a perpetual studio license.

Many Thanks,
Felix

Last edited by Skinny_Cheese; 05-23-2022 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Adding more Information
Old 05-23-2022, 12:53 PM

Default Re: Perpetual PT Studio License „expired“

Sounds like you are not on an active support/update plan for your perpetual license if so you don't get any new releases under that perpetual license.

The way to fix that is to purchase the reinstatement option in you Avid My Products section ... the one for *expired* plans, which Avid are now offering again, and it will be several hundred US$. I would not rely on that option being available in future, so if you want it get it now, and understand you may not be able to do this again if you let the update plan expire... or maybe you might be better off with a subscription that you can let go and restart again as needed.

I don't think Avid Link looks at what you are licensed to run, it just offers to download stuff. It's bloatware that many of us recommend you uninstall.