Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 12-08-2021, 04:16 PM

Default Re: Sound(s) Issues. (WARNING: LONG STORY!)

OP- as someone previously mentioned VST plugins won't work on Pro Tools unfortunately(without a more complicated workaround), and I think the F9 stuff you installed might be VST only. not positive though

BUT IN GENERAL:
•Create a new "instrument" track

•On the inserts column of this track, open the menu and choose from "instrument" column

•Pro Tools should have some stock plugins included. Choose an electric piano or something simple to start

•"arm" the track by clicking the circle button so that it blinks red

•make sure your output of that track is routed to your speakers. Might be called "built in output" or "Out 1-2" or something similar by default

•play your midi keyboard

If this doesn't work, attach some screenshots of your session
Old 12-08-2021, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
An even better point might be that the OP or anybody else here never mentioned or asked about VSTs. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I was aware of that, but the problem was 'plugins doesn't show up' and 'they claim to be installed' so I thought I'd mention it. It has happened before that people expect PT to run VSTs.
Old 12-09-2021, 10:14 AM

To answer the other questions, the only reason I am using Pro Tools in the first place is because Pro Tools First is currently unavailable.

Muddled? You have no idea. I feel like my brain is melting. I have to Google every technical term and abbreviation, but I'm a fast learner. So.

You Tube videos: The one that helped the most suggested installing Voicemeeter Banana, which I did, fixed output with that, and I was then able to HEAR a click track. So I thought my sound output issue was resolved.

I then started working on the plugins issue. I had read that non-Avid plugins would not work, but I only just (30 minutes ago) discovered that AIR Virtual Instruments and Effects are not included in the Pro Tools download.

I discovered this when I Googled "No instrument plugins listed". This apparently had been asked here many years ago, and there were other examples of people having the same issues. One question was "Have you downloaded AIR Virtual Instruments and Effects?" So, I did that.

I still have no plugins showing up, and now whatever I did to fix the sound has unfixed itself. Back to square one.
Old 12-09-2021, 11:35 AM

Why are you installing Voicemeeter Bannana? This should not be needed, it is likely just adding to your confusion.

I cannot even tell if you are now trying to use Pro Tools First or Pro Tools Standard. You cannot just install plugin installers intended for Pro Tools Standard/Ultimate if using First… they will install but will not work.

And what are you ultimately trying to do? If it is to work with third party VIs First is a waste of time.

Get the audio working and tested like I already described. Buy an interface is highly recommended.

You keep saying “download” did you actually run the installer or just download them?

Do initial VI testing with Mini Grand following a tutorial video showing you how to use mini grand.

Yes instrument VIs in Pro Tools (at least standard/ultimate) are a separate installer you have to run.

If you are running Pro Tools standard and run a plugin installer intended for Pro Tools they *will* install plugins, you should see Pro Tools load those plugins in the splash screen when it starts and they should show up as insert options in the UI.What exactly did you do, what exactly happens? So far nobody here can tell exactly what you have done.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-09-2021 at 11:55 AM.
Old 12-10-2021, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
I was aware of that, but the problem was 'plugins doesn't show up' and 'they claim to be installed' so I thought I'd mention it. It has happened before that people expect PT to run VSTs.
No, I even read up on the workaround to run VSTs, but I'm not bothering with that.

I thought the plugins were installed, I see them in the file, but now you have me wondering. How can I check? Is there yet another step ("Pro Tools installer"?) that they forgot to mention? Is this a separate program? If so where do I get it from?

BTW, I am using Pro Tools Free Trial (standard Pro Tools). I WOULD use Pro Tools First, but it's not currently available. Hence they suggested I try the free trial for the full thing. I don't have a spare $2000 for the full thing.

Voicemeeter Banada DOES have a use. Oh yes. When you are trying to watch You Tube videos at the same time as run Pro Tools it is essential because it conveniently allows output via BOTH the ASIO4ALL AND the WMD speakers at the same time, which I could not get before.

I had assumed it also allowed me to hear the click track. But it must have been coincidental, that must have happened due to something else I tweaked, because I'm back to no click track even with VMB turned on.
Old 12-10-2021, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeegee View Post
OP- as someone previously mentioned VST plugins won't work on Pro Tools unfortunately(without a more complicated workaround), and I think the F9 stuff you installed might be VST only. not positive though

BUT IN GENERAL:
•Create a new "instrument" track

•On the inserts column of this track, open the menu and choose from "instrument" column

•Pro Tools should have some stock plugins included. Choose an electric piano or something simple to start

•"arm" the track by clicking the circle button so that it blinks red

•make sure your output of that track is routed to your speakers. Might be called "built in output" or "Out 1-2" or something similar by default

•play your midi keyboard

If this doesn't work, attach some screenshots of your session
Soon as I get into my studio (don't faint, it's an art studio, not a recording sudo) I'm going to show you with a screenshot, yes, because Pro Tools only has effects stock plug-ins. No instruments. The rest of this I get.

I know I sound like an idiot, but I'm gradually learning the terminology. Bear in mind you're dealing with a (visual) artist and we think differently, express ourselves differently. Please bear with me. I can play a regular keyboard competantly, it's the new aspects of the tech involved that are defeating me here. I just want to use this whole DAW thing to be able to record multiple tracks and create my own music without needing other people around.