Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2021, 12:11 PM

Default iLok Cloud Session Activation Help

Confused about iLok Cloud Session activation... am I moving my Pro Tools licenses OFF my iLok to open an iLok Cloud session?

I have my Pro Tools license on my iLok; and have Pro Tools installed on several machines;

Is it possible to open a single instance of Pro Tools (not multiple, simultaneous instances) from the Cloud on a given machine, without moving anything off the iLok? (Such that when I go back to the machine where the iLok is, it works normally)
Old 06-27-2021, 12:36 PM

Default Re: iLok Cloud Session Activation Help

Yes. When you move the authorization from your iLok and over to the iLok cloud selection it will authorize and open on any computer where you have installed Protools. That computer needs to be connected to the internet and iLok will prop you to sign into your account. You can only use the cloud authorization on one computer at a time.
Old 06-27-2021, 12:57 PM

Ok, thank you.
Old 06-27-2021, 03:22 PM

Wait. I'm not sure the answer provided matches what the OP is asking. Once you move the Ilok authorization off the physical Ilok to the Ilok cloud, I think the physical iLok no longer works to authorize Protools. Therefore only machines using the Ilok cloud authorization can run Protools. If you plug the physical Ilok dongle into a non-internet connected laptop, it will not run Protools because the physical Ilok no longer has the authorization on it. At least that is the way I understand it.

To do what the OP is asking, I believe it is necessary to move the authorization off the cloud and back onto the physical iLok. Then move it back to the cloud again when necessary.

A better solution is to use the cloud authorization for all the computers (one at a time). Or just move the physical Ilok to which ever computer will be running Protools at a given time.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 06-28-2021, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
Wait. I'm not sure the answer provided matches what the OP is asking. Once you move the Ilok authorization off the physical Ilok to the Ilok cloud, I think the physical iLok no longer works to authorize Protools. Therefore only machines using the Ilok cloud authorization can run Protools. If you plug the physical Ilok dongle into a non-internet connected laptop, it will not run Protools because the physical Ilok no longer has the authorization on it. At least that is the way I understand it.

To do what the OP is asking, I believe it is necessary to move the authorization off the cloud and back onto the physical iLok. Then move it back to the cloud again when necessary.

A better solution is to use the cloud authorization for all the computers (one at a time). Or just move the physical Ilok to which ever computer will be running Protools at a given time.
This^^^

The best solution is to take the iLok with you and use it to authorize whichever machine you are using. That's what iLok is made for. And don't forget to purchase Zero Down Time coverage and then turn on Theft and Loss Coverage.

If you do decide to go with iLok Cloud, you will have to either use cloud authorization, or move the license back onto the physical iLok, each time you want to use Pro Tools on that computer.

Also, keep in mind that the internet connection needs to be solid and continuous the entire time you are using Pro Tools with a cloud authorization.
Old 06-28-2021, 07:30 AM

Right, to both, above...