Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio

Old 02-04-2021, 03:39 AM

Default Anyone have the MTRX Studio Rack?

Any users on here have the MTRX Studio Rack? I just got this rack, and it seems like an unfinished baked cake. 1 - The meters are in consistent between Pro Tools, DADman and MTRX; so trying to make sure you are at exact levels is kind of difficult. 2 - I am shocked Avid relied on a 3rd party software to even allow this box to work at all. When you turn it on, it is dead, does nothing. You must configure it with DADman software. And finding info on configuring, troubleshooting, etc, is pretty difficult. 3 - The output meters do not even function on a basic stereo set up, so you have no clue on levels. I like the intent of this box, but for $5,000, you would think they would have a better explanation on configuration and that the unit could function without the need of the DADman for basic IO.
Old 02-04-2021, 05:37 AM
Avid

Default Re: Anyone have the MTRX Studio Rack?

Greetings,

Thanks, I prefer chocolate buttercream, but your mileage may vary. But seriously, we're here to help.

DADman does in fact add some extra complexity to the system, however once you wrap you head around it - the possibilities are endless.

All of the monitor profiles (including the stereo basic) should be showing metering - on the right side. The LED meters on the left toggle between light blue - analog, blue - ADAT, and Orange for Dante.

Here's a playlist that covers a lot of ground in digging into DADman and MTRX family interfaces:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...QDeRgOaJw_FSI1

I would start with this one:
https://youtu.be/sMb91SVVnF4?list=PL...QDeRgOaJw_FSI1

Also - current Monitor Profiles for MTRX Studio can be found here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uxty86enf...buMixkJka?dl=0

If you want to PM me about your specific monitor / metering questions that's fine also.

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 02-04-2021, 05:55 AM

I have a bit of a noob question related to this.
Once you've configured the MTRX Studio with Dadman does it remember that configuration, or do you have to run Dadman in the background all the time?
Thanks.
Old 02-04-2021, 06:18 AM
Avid

Not a problem.

The MTRX wears several hats.

The cross point matrix, patching digital router hat which connects the IO:
Analog (Mic, Line, DI)
ADAT
DigiLink (Pro Tools HDX & HDN)
Dante

Retains the last state that you programmed for the settings / patches in DADman. DADman does not need to be open for these conduits to be connected.

The custom Monitor Profile, control room, monitoring flexibility relies on the DADman application to be open and have your custom profile (.dmprof file) loaded. You can have this happen automatically when you launch DADman.

This is part of the reason for the dual settings files:
.dms -> AD, DA, Patchbay, Clock & Configuration
.dmprof -> Monitor Profile

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 02-04-2021, 08:08 AM

To MTRX Studio Users,

Can any MTRX Studio users offer further insight into the DADMan routing within the Avid MTRX Studio and its IO settings inside DADMan.

I have tried patching my Avid MTRX Studio using the cross point matrix and the digital router to connect the IO; Analog, Mic, Line, AD, DA, via DigiLink to a Native Thunderbolt box.
Would anyone know how to bring all external audio in and out of ProTools to all channel outputs within DADMan software. I have tried to connect some Ravenna Monitors via Dante
but still not setup completely with the MTRX Studio.

The color system in the Avid Carbon looks very similar to DADMan maybe that is required to visually offer the MTRX Studio a better user interaction to DADMan
and it's cross point matrix which can be somewhat confusing to configure.

Regards
Old 02-04-2021, 09:04 AM
Avid

Yep. This is what I would do:

Jeff
MTRX FAQ