Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2002, 09:56 AM

Default Gigastudio for Mac?

Anyone know if Tascam plan to make the software Mac compatible?

Cheers
Renie
Old 04-11-2002, 11:37 AM

Default Re: Gigastudio for Mac?

Gigastudio runs on Windows 98 and Windows XP, sadly. There might be consideration of running Virtual PC on the Mac, and running GS within Virtual PC as a friend does with Acid.

Too bad, huh?

John Caldwell
Old 04-11-2002, 11:52 AM

Unity 3.0 reads and streams gigasampler files. It also is supposedly PTle compatible and can work as a plugin inside PT.

I haven't tried it yet.....but they have a demo on their website.

It can function standalone..or work inside PTle or other apps, includeds one of the translater programs (for converting samples), about a gig of samples, streams from disk as well as ram...and ..it can run under OS X or OS 9.

It's pricey too...about 600 bucks.

I've looked around for reviews..but haven't found one yet.

It just came out this month.

But, it might be worth a shot.

PS, I don't think, you'll ever see a port of Gigasampler to mac. However, if you want to run it...the way to do it..is to buy or build a cheap PC...with a Giga compatible soundcard...and load Gigasampler on it..and use it as an external sampler. (just like you would an akai or emu)

Use the audio outs of giga to autio ins of 001. Use midi connections to a controller to trigger it.

dcornutt
Old 04-12-2002, 11:14 AM

Tascam are fools for not allready porting this technology, its an open ended market waiting to happen. There is absolutely no reason whatso ever, NOT to port it to Mac, particularly OSX.
Proffesional music, design, film, etc. are all @ 90% mac based.

I would buy it in a minute. Might end up with a PC after all for Games and Gigasampler/studio. Sigh.
Old 04-12-2002, 06:38 PM

Sorry, but due to the development tools involved, it probably will never happen. Same thing with Acid, FruityLoops, and many more.

I use the word "probably" only because I use a Mac AND a PC, and I prefer my Mac for creative stuff, and will hold out some hope...

Don't shoot me, I'm just the piano player. Well, not really, I'm actually a guitar player, but I'm pretty sure I could play a piano player on TV.

Later,

Ranger Jay
Old 04-12-2002, 07:19 PM

I asked someone at Tascam & he blabbed on about Gigastudio working at the core level of the PC, was doubtful that it would work under Virtual PC. He said no plans at all to make it Mac. I told him it's a Gigashame.

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 04-13-2002, 08:35 PM

I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but Emagic has a virtual memory driver for their EXS24 sampler. They say it'll play back samples of virtually any length.

Maybe that's an even better scheme? Because streaming samples off a hard disk takes many times the horsepower it takes to play them back from RAM.

I can reliably get about eight stereo voices with Steinberg Halion (maybe 16 with The Grand) on my G4 450 DP vs. several times that with the EXS24, Unity DS-1, or Soft SampleCell.
Old 04-14-2002, 05:14 PM

Yeah, that building a cheap PC idea is probably the best. Plus, that way, your mac's CPU is completely freed up. Do you suppose the quality of the PC soundcard matters so long as you are only taking digital outs from it?
Old 04-15-2002, 10:09 AM

I have been using Gigastudio on a 1.5 gig PIV PC, controlled by my Mac Quicksilver 733. It works like a charm. In fact, I inquired as to the best setup for GS with NemeSys. They informed me that having GS on a 2nd computer is the best way for it to function. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-15-2002, 04:06 PM

Larbabe,
How do you control your PC from your Mac?
Thanks!