Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2009, 07:37 AM

Default Odd Mixing Dilemma

I'm using all virtual instruments and have created a 14 song piano/classic rock show.

Here is the problem. The final mixes will NOT contain either lead vocals or piano. I will be supplying that live and singing with the tracks in a pseudo-karaoke style. That sounds lame, I know, but the songs are a full compliment of el gtrs, ac gtrs, drums, bass, background vocals...the whole sch-bang. East West, "Ministry of Rock"...buy it!

Can anyone provide any tips on mixing these tracks knowing that the 2 lead elements will NOT be present while mixing? Should I leave a significant amount of headroom or mix everything that is present as if they are the lead elements?

Re: panning, I've moved most things away from the center to leave room for lead vocals.

THANKS FRIENDS!~
Old 07-06-2009, 08:39 AM

Default Re: Odd Mixing Dilemma

My first suggestion would be to pan/mix the other instruments in a way that you'd want to hear them on stage while you're playing piano and singing. A good example of this would be making sure your drums are mixed high enough for you to hear while you're playing so it will be easier to stay on time (unless you're playing to a click track.) Chances are wherever you're playing won't have an awesome PA system, so try to mix as neutral as you can, leaving room for the piano and vocals above everything else.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:50 AM

If possible, try mixing not only using whatever monitors you normally use, but also via your PA system, or something similar as to what you're going to use live.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:05 AM

I'd mix it in mono. Not every one at your show will be in the center of the venue.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearson8 View Post
Re: panning, I've moved most things away from the center to leave room for lead vocals.
THANKS FRIENDS!~
A friend of mine does this for a living. Every other weekend he has a regular slot in the local boozer. He's an engineer/musician and creates all his own backing tracks. His advice to me when I wanted backing track mixes was to mix in mono, don't worry about the stereo spread if you're playing it back through a PA in the local Pub/Bar. Also, easy on the effects, no reverb on the drums, or very very little if you really have to. Keep the backing vocals prominent. Keep the intro count quiet, just loud enough for you to come in on time or else the audience will be expecting a marshall stack/les paul/keith moon intro. Even better, use a shaker or woodblock to count yourself in, instead of hi hats. Just saying, he's been doing this for a long time and that was his advice to me.
Also as DrumEatDrum suggested, he always checks the mixes through a PA.
Keep the bass/drums the same volume level on each track or it will be noticeable. His final piece of advice was 'Practice'. If you miss your place with a backing track then your screwed.
Best of luck
Old 07-06-2009, 10:10 AM

I'd track a scratch piano and voc, mix, then mute the piano and voc at bounce down.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 07-06-2009, 11:48 AM

Thanks Everyone, REALLY!

In an effort to acheive a real 'live' sound, would it be better to use reverb in the mix or rely on the on-board effects the analog mixer will provide?

I know not all venues are the same but in this particular case I will be supplying the equipment. Well, renting it as it's an out of town engagement. I typically use an analog board (in the Mackie line usually, DFX12 or similar). My only need for inputs is the CD player for the backing tracks, vocal mic and keyboard.

I understand that I should be easy on the reverb especially on the drums but I don't want it to sound like 'band-in-a-box".

Reverb application suggestions??
Old 07-06-2009, 02:54 PM

Well, there are lots of records that have no artificial verb and sound fantastic. But in styles that require it, it would probably be safe to put it normally on things that have a soft attack/decay, like pads and backing vocs. On things that only need a little verb in a digital mix to help it gel, like bass and shakers, none. On percussive elements like drums, palm mutes, acoustic gtr, clavs, etc, go light; or compress the send master with a fast attack if you need it to blossom on the sustain portion of gtrs and keys.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB