Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 03-03-2009, 06:22 PM

Default Rewire in 8

Pro Tools crashes on quit every time I use Rewire in PT8. Which brings back memories of PT 7.2. This happens with Reason, Plogue, Live, etc. It also seems generally unstable when using Rewire, with some more random crashes than when not using Rewire. Is anyone having a smooth Rewire transition? Any insight into how to make it work better? This is happening on PT HD systems that had working Leopard/7.4.2 Rewire systems and Tiger/7.4 Rewire systems.

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2009, 12:46 AM

Default Re: Rewire in 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by uno1234 View Post
Pro Tools crashes on quit every time I use Rewire in PT8. Which brings back memories of PT 7.2. This happens with Reason, Plogue, Live, etc. It also seems generally unstable when using Rewire, with some more random crashes than when not using Rewire. Is anyone having a smooth Rewire transition? Any insight into how to make it work better? This is happening on PT HD systems that had working Leopard/7.4.2 Rewire systems and Tiger/7.4 Rewire systems.

Thanks!
Same here. Definitely a bug.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.E.R.D View Post
Same here. Definitely a bug.
Anyone find a work around for this?
Old 04-22-2009, 11:26 AM

I haven't used Reason a whole lot with PT8 but I haven't had any trouble at all when I did. What version of Reason are you running? I'm on 4.0.1 here.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:37 PM

I'm running the latest version of Reason (4.0.1) also.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:55 PM

Try downloading the latest version of rewire from the Props Site, the version I have (that works on my LE 8 system) is 1.4.7.
hope this helps
S.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:40 PM

Thanks. Tried that. No dice.

Tracey
cafepress.com/audioshirts
Old 04-22-2009, 09:40 PM

Reduce the number of processors to an odd number. Keep in mind that each session stores it's own playback engine settings in PT 8, so this will get very annoying - check every session.

Next, search the entire computer for "rewire" and erase any existing rewire drivers, even if they are not in the plugin folder (Waves and Melodyne have random placements for their Rewire engine). If you want them for later use, make sure to back them up (offline - not in another folder - PT will just find it and use it if it's still on the computer) before erasing.

Finally, set your processor limit to 99%.

These steps worked for me and Rewire in PT8 was really bad for a minute. Now it works perfectly. The only catch is you have to reset the processor usage for each session - PT doesn't store playback engine settings globally like it used to.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleadley View Post
Try downloading the latest version of rewire from the Props Site, the version I have (that works on my LE 8 system) is 1.4.7.
hope this helps
S.
Props Site? Where's this at? I'd like to check if I have the latest version since I'm having trouble with rewire again.

Thanks.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:14 PM

Do you have cs3 installed? There is at least one bug that is fixed with it.

Fixed: Intermittent "Engine not responding" error when working with Reason via ReWire (Item #107636)
When launching a session that contains Reason ReWire, Reason posts a dialog "Engine not responding. Please check your ReWire host."

Secondly, I've found that my Rewire was 100% more stable, when I trashed Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software folder
Trashed the Reason folder and reinstalled Reason 4 fresh.

While in App Support trashed all Celemony, Melodyne and Melodyne Rewire Devices, and reinstalled Melodyne from Celemony.com if you own it.

For me reinstalling it took less time than struggling with Pro Tools vaporizing and crashing. and haven't a single rewire crash since.

I think with the changes to PT 8 it;s just very sensitive to any older rewire files, and I mean any at all. Anything digirewire.dpm sees and might not be 100% compatible is crashing it.

If you're still not having luck then I'd seriously consider trashing all the usual suspects, meaning the ReWire clients and their corresponding Application Support files (ReWire, ReWire Shared Library, Rex Shared Library, Propellerheads software, FXPansion, Melodyne, Addictive Drums, basically any program that runs in Rewire etc). Then download the latest versions of those.

PT HD 8cs3 / Reason 4 / HD3 /192 /C24