Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2005, 12:48 PM

Default CD Burning question...

This forum is the closest I could get to having this question answered, hopefully. This is a non-Pro Tools question.

I am burning a series of music CD's at home as part of a give away. I have 18 tracks coming it an roughly 72 minutes. I want to add a hidden bonus song to the CD. But I don't want the typical bonus track at the end. I want to add the track to the very beginning of the CD. I want it to be part of the pause. Basically, nobody will know about it unless they rewind Track 1. If anybody doesn't believe this is possible, check out the first track of Queens of the Stone Age's "Songs for the Deaf". The first track must be rewound 1:33 to hear this little bonus.

I am working on a MAC using Adaptec's Jam 2.6.2. I've combined the first two tracks to one track. I then created the pause to the length of the song I want to hide and told the program to start the audio in the pause. I have two problems with this: 1. The track starts from the first song and only plays the amount of time the pause is set too, 2. or it only plays 4 seconds of the track. Both problems will not allow me to rewind the 3:54:52 and to have that amount of audio play there. I even tried burning a copy to see if it would work and I get error message stating that i need 00:02:00 of pause to burn a CD and I need silence and no audio.

I know this is a bit convoluted, but basically, I want to have a hidden track in the beginning of my audio CD that starts in the pause. Anyone with ideas, suggestions or exact knowledge of what I should be doing? Thanks to any that help.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:01 PM

Default Re: CD Burning question...

I have only ever seen this done with either a Pyramix or a Sonic Solutions system... And it is kinda odd. You have to basically hack redbook. As far as I know, you can't pull it off with Toast or Jam...
For what it's worth...
Old 05-02-2005, 08:30 PM

thank you for the info....now, the question...how do i crack redbook? just kidding, i'm sure with my limited software, i would be able to do such things...i need to get a job working for a mastering company now....thanks again for the info...
Old 05-02-2005, 09:55 PM

I don't think you can do it with that version of Jam. (I'm not sure if you can do it with any version of Jam really.)
Old 05-03-2005, 11:09 AM

I wasted an entire day trying to figure a way to get it to work and now I feel dejected. I still have the hidden track at the end, but hidden inside of a pause, 15 tracks after the last. So, only those listening straight through till the end will hear this track. All the silence track are 4 seconds in lenght, by default, and the 36th track has a -01:14:00 pause, 4 seconds of silence, then the song on track 37. Because the track still needs to exist, there is 4 seconds of silence. It's not that ingenious, but, people will probably skip to the last track, to hear nothing and wonder why the hell I have all of that.

Thanks for all the help guys!!!

PS. Chris, what kind of program do you know of can do what I was trying? Just curious, I probably can't afford it anyhow. Thanks.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:12 AM

This is also done on several Depeche Mode albums, as seques between songs...

Its interesting, but, kinda annoying too..
Old 05-03-2005, 11:57 AM

Quote:
PS. Chris, what kind of program do you know of can do what I was trying? Just curious, I probably can't afford it anyhow. Thanks.
I'm not sure if any programs available for mac are currently capable of offering you this ability...maybe Peak...but I'm not sure.

On PC, it can be done with any number of programs, including but not limited to Nero, CD Architect, and Wavelab on the cheaper end of things.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:43 PM

Chris, I appreciate your time in responding. Have you ever created something like this before?

I actually own Nero 5 for PC and will attempt to screw around with it a bit more.

Again, thanks.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:34 AM

I have had it requested once or twice before in mastering. I don't recommend it. This type of disc falls outside of Red-Book standards...won't play in all players (no matter the quality of the burn), and not all replication facilities will accept it. Some will accept it, but only after informing them that the error is intentional. CD-Architect and Wavelab are the two cheaper alternatives that make it easy to do. Google for instructions on how to do it with nero.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:31 AM

Just as Chris said...check with your replicator first !
The function you're looking for is called "audio in pause" and it's easy to do in Wavelab's Montage.
good luck,

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring