Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 05-10-2022, 12:15 AM

Default Re: Existing Perpetual License Owners

Hi there, if Avid doesn't sell individual perperual licences anymore how is my reinstatement code going to work in the future.

I'm on PT Ultimate 2022.4 and my support ends soon. I want to use my code let's say in 2024... What product will I get? A new current perpetual version or a subscription?
Old 05-10-2022, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyg View Post
Hi there, if Avid doesn't sell individual perperual licences anymore how is my reinstatement code going to work in the future.

I'm on PT Ultimate 2022.4 and my support ends soon. I want to use my code let's say in 2024... What product will I get? A new current perpetual version or a subscription?
Even if it is via a dealer, they sold you a reinstatement code and I believe this will put you back up to date with your perpetual license. I would watch carefully in case the goalposts move against though.
Old 05-10-2022, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thin ice View Post
Even if it is via a dealer, they sold you a reinstatement code and I believe this will put you back up to date with your perpetual license. I would watch carefully in case the goalposts move against though.
This, but as we have seen in the past Avid assurance is worth close to nothing for many of us. We will have to wait and see if indeed they will give reinstatements to us perpetual licence users in the future. Until now it was a rollercoaster ride: now you have, now you don´t have reinstatements.
Old 05-10-2022, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvicente22 View Post
Hi Simon - Yes, if you have a Pro Tools 11 perpetual license, you can use that license to upgrade. You may purchase a Perpetual License Upgrade (reinstatement) code from an Avid authorized reseller.

Please see the Pro Tools Tiers FAQ for more info.

Cheers,
Charles
Thanks Chris, whilst I await a reply from an authorised re-seller could you just confirm that if I decide to take out a subscription instead, my perpetual Pro Tools 11 licence will not be surrendered? The whole process seems extremely confusing, especially when as far as I can see there's nothing on the Avid website to suggest that I can upgrade my older license.

It's almost as if Avid don't want me to find out that a perpetual licence is still available for a product I've owned, and paid to upgrade, since 1999.
cheers
Old 05-10-2022, 07:02 AM

Having looked at the number of authorised resellers, including in France where I live, I find that there are many reputable online retailers, Thomann, Bax, Woodbrass, offering the UPD despite not being authorised. So what happens if I buy from an "un-authorised" re-seller? And how can they sell the product which obviously has to report back to Avid to get the iLok license etc? Is there any reason why I shouldn't buy the product at the best price?
Old 05-10-2022, 07:28 AM

Quote:

Avid doesn't sell new perpetual licenses. You have one already, your not buying a new perpetual license.
The reinstatement code is not for a new perpetual license.
It's a code to get the perpetual license that you already own current so you can update your software and have Avid support. After that, you are eligible for the yearly Software Updates + Support Plan at the regular price.

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D - BIOS F21b
Intel Core I9 10850K Windows11 / macOS 12.7.4 Hackintosh / 32GB of Rams
Avid Carbon/HDX 2024.3 Ultimate - 8x8x8 HD I/O - PT Dock - PT Control - Artist Mix (1)
Universal Audio Apollo Twin|X - UAD2 Pci-E and Satellite USB Octo v.11.0.1 - SOLO 610 - Twin-finity
Bricasti M7 (2)
Lexicon PCM96
Neumann KH805 - KH310
Yamaha NS-10M
Avantone Mixcubes
Grace Design M905
Etc, etc, etc.
Old 05-10-2022, 10:17 AM

My perpetual license is several years old (v12.8), before the subscription plans, etc. I don't believe I have a reinstatement code available to me. Not that I plan to, but with this new scheme Avid has all but guaranteed I will never update. I will not use a subscription. And I can't be the only one who thinks Avid has gone off the deep end with this licensing nonsense. I feel bad for those who don't have the option to ignore it.

Creators are spending a fair amount of time, energy, and mental effort wrapping their heads around what seems like a punitive and confusing licensing scheme. If all that energy was spent making music the world would be a better place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thin ice View Post
Old 05-10-2022, 10:37 AM

Quote:
...I'm on PT Ultimate 2022.4 and my support ends soon. I want to use my code let's say in 2024... What product will I get? A new current perpetual version or a subscription?
A new/current perpetual license with a 1 year Software Updates + Support Plan.
Old 05-10-2022, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scardanelli View Post
...could you just confirm that if I decide to take out a subscription instead, my perpetual Pro Tools 11 licence will not be surrendered?
The 'trade your perpetual license in for a discount the first 2 years of subscription' crossgrade was discontinued. A new subscription will not affect your perpetual Pro Tools 11 license.
Quote:
The whole process seems extremely confusing, especially when as far as I can see there's nothing on the Avid website to suggest that I can upgrade my older license.
From avid.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/FAQ/Pro-Tools-Tiers...
What about perpetual license owners without a current Software Updates + Support Plan?
Avid is reintroducing Upgrades (previously referred to as "Reinstatement" or "Get Current") which allow perpetual license owners to get onto a current plan to get new software releases, plug-ins and support. Perpetual v9/higher license owners can buy the Upgrade from an Avid Reseller. Users with expired Software Updates + Support Plans can also upgrade directly from their product in my.avid.com/products.
Please let us know if you cannot find the upgrade at your preferred Avid Reseller.
Old 05-10-2022, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
My perpetual license is several years old (v12.8), before the subscription plans, etc. I don't believe I have a reinstatement code available to me...
You do... it's the first (default) item in the list for your PT product at my.avid.com/products. You could instead buy an Upgrade from an Avid Reseller if you didn't want to start using it right away.