Originally Posted by glasswing View Post
You were running it in Rosetta?
Everything runs in Rosetta ATM for ProTools
Old 03-20-2022, 10:08 AM

Default Re: Advice for P Tools HDX & Apple Silicon

Quote:
You were running it in Rosetta?

Open task manager view memory usage. Then open a big session. See the memory go up then close the session. You will see the memoory isnt released. Open another session. See the memory go up and close. No memory released. Add infinity for fun.

Id be interested to see how many people are getting this error but dont realize it because its not taking much ram for each session. These mix session will take 1-2gb per session and protools eats 6gb by itself.
Old 03-25-2022, 01:29 PM

Did you run into this problem? Could it be a plugin? That's what I would suspect as others don't seem to be having the problem.
Mac Studio Ultra / 128 RAM/2TB HD / Avid HDX Chassis / 2 X Sonnet Echo Dual NVMe Thunderbolt Docks w Samsung 970 EVO Plus (6TB) / Avid C24 / Avid 16X16 I/O Analog / Lynx Aurora 16/16 1/O Analog / Dangerous 2 Bus / Benchmark ADC1
www.glasswing.com
www.richardsales.com
Old 03-26-2022, 04:15 AM

Im not seeing this either. Sessions heavily loaded with Omnisphere, Superior Drummer 3, Kontakt, Waves, are released immediately after closing.
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021)
Apple M1 Max
Memory 64 GB
PreSonus Quantum 26x32 Thunderbolt
Old 03-27-2022, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC Music View Post
Im not seeing this either. Sessions heavily loaded with Omnisphere, Superior Drummer 3, Kontakt, Waves, are released immediately after closing.
That's good news. Hopefully it works that way on Mac Studio Ultra.
Mac Studio Ultra / 128 RAM/2TB HD / Avid HDX Chassis / 2 X Sonnet Echo Dual NVMe Thunderbolt Docks w Samsung 970 EVO Plus (6TB) / Avid C24 / Avid 16X16 I/O Analog / Lynx Aurora 16/16 1/O Analog / Dangerous 2 Bus / Benchmark ADC1
www.glasswing.com
www.richardsales.com
Old 03-27-2022, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Did you run into this problem? Could it be a plugin? That's what I would suspect as others don't seem to be having the problem.
Can be a sign of a plugin with a memory leak, or possibly VIs that pre-load samples, they may not flush allocated memory until they need to etc. It's hard to guess but you might try doing things like pulling all VI plugins out of the plugin folder, see if that changes the memory use/freeing you are seeing. Or especially if you also see forever increasing memory use... then do a full troubleshooting of plugins to try to find a culprit. Remember it does not necessarily need to be a plugin being used, just installed.
Old 03-29-2022, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Can be a sign of a plugin with a memory leak, or possibly VIs that pre-load samples, they may not flush allocated memory until they need to etc. It's hard to guess but you might try doing things like pulling all VI plugins out of the plugin folder, see if that changes the memory use/freeing you are seeing. Or especially if you also see forever increasing memory use... then do a full troubleshooting of plugins to try to find a culprit. Remember it does not necessarily need to be a plugin being used, just installed.
This is why I think the tedious process of loading a plugin, test - then load the next (and test etc) is the best path at this point. I would bet most of the nightmares we hear are triggered by funky plugins. Seems to work great for the folks that go through the tedious cold install, one plugin at a time route
www.glasswing.com
www.richardsales.com
Old 04-06-2022, 06:31 AM

Started installing Pro Tools HD yesterday. Ran into the (unmentioned?) problem with the HD driver! Tried to install a few times and then learned of the required process for install. This process should be featured in blinking neon lights for all prospective Apple Silicon/Monterey owners / buyers. Other than that, it's going very well.
I had only installed the Monogram controller software - no plugins etc - and initialized the NVMe external drives. Here's hoping that doesn't get in the way of the HD install process. I don't see why it should.
Pro Tools opened and played back a no plugin old session just fine.
I'll report back once I get the HD driver installed.
www.glasswing.com
www.richardsales.com
Old 04-06-2022, 10:04 AM

I know not everyone has the choice but wouldn't it be better to wait until everything can run without Rosetta? I'm only going by my memory of what happened the last time we had this Rosetta nonsense (which is that it was a complete nightmare!)
Old 04-06-2022, 11:08 AM

Quote:
This is why I think the tedious process of loading a plugin, test - then load the next (and test etc) is the best path at this point. I would bet most of the nightmares we hear are triggered by funky plugins. Seems to work great for the folks that go through the tedious cold install, one plugin at a time route
Make it less tedious. Just try removing large groups of plugins. Starting with the obvious one of VIs.

Then do a binary tree walk, adding/removing plugin files in large groups until you home in on the suspect plugin. A linear test across plugins is super painful and hopefully not needed.

Pro Tools by itself on Rosetta 2 on Apple silicon does not use this much memory, so first thing to suspect and exclude/include as a problem (as nearly always) is plugins.