How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2010, 03:32 PM

Default Creating Voice 'Filter'?

Hello,

I don't know if anyone knows the C&C games, but I'm really wondering how they create their sounds.

I would like to know more if it, or if there are tricks in Protools to recreate the kind of sounds.

Here is an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQlh_BZT_vg

I'm not looking for the exact same voice, I'm just wondering what kind if effects are used to achieve that kind of sound.

Ofcouse I'm not aiming for an exact replica of the voice, but I'm wondering what techniques are used. Does anyone knows that? Is it possible with Protools, or does anyone recommend another programm?

I hope I made myself clear.

Greetz,
RTD
Old 09-23-2010, 06:12 PM

Default Re: Creating Voice 'Filter'?

You're hearing pitch shifting down, probably close to a b3 (three half steps) down. Some of the examples were smaller and larger amounts. They used the shifted signal and the unprocessed signal together.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:05 AM

Ok, I will check it out how that will work out. Are there any tutorials or something on the internet about this?

RTD
Old 09-24-2010, 08:26 AM

Check this out... designed in part by the guy who developed GIGA.
Amazing, and a lot more..

http://www.sonivoxmi.com/ProductDeta...ualInstruments
Old 09-24-2010, 08:35 AM

That's a pretty awesome vocoder synth!

But I'm more looking for some 'talking' transformations. Vocalizer is more for music.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTD View Post
That's a pretty awesome vocoder synth!

But I'm more looking for some 'talking' transformations. Vocalizer is more for music.
Listening to the C&C clip there is definitely a vocoder mixed in their with the ring modulation turned up. It isn't the loudest thing in the mix, but it's in there. So short slap delays, pitch shifting, and vocoders mixed back in with the uneffected vocal sound like what they are doing.

For an example of "talking transformations" listen to Transformers. Their voices have varying degrees of vocoder on them, with some (shockwave and starscream) having more vocoder than dry voice. I think some of the voices in Battlestar Galactica were vocoders too. And any text to speech voice synthesizer you hear is usually a vocoder as well. The number of filters used dictates how "real" it sounds. A vocoder with only 5 filters will sound very robotic. A vocoder with 30 or 40 filters will start to really sound like a human voice.

Also WallE is a great example of vocalization using a vocoder... as is California love by Tupac, Intergalactic by Beastie Boys.

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page