How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2015, 05:34 AM

Default Re: Avid YOU Are Almost Out Of Time

exactly,my opinion
if they can´t deliver, why should we pay for some makros?

Mr.O
Old 12-02-2015, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelis View Post
I run a comercial mixing place and need to keep it up to date. Simple as that. If I don't upgrade until december 31th, it will cost me $1000 next year. So, I'm forced to do it now. Like many others. You know how it works 25ghosts…
Yes I do ;-)

What I also know is this

The concept behind a 'Commercial Mixing Place' leads to the following abstraction:

A room with one or more chairs positioned next to a desk which is positioned in front of one or more sets of loud speakers. On the Desk, one will typically find a computer monitor and a keyboard attached to a computer running a [software] called a DAW which is able to read, mix and thus process the files brought to it by the one renting the room.

The nomenclature [Software] of above abstraction implicitly refers to any not one DAW.

Meaning anything which is able to mix audio! Which as of today resolves to any $199 DAW !

Of course, then along cometh the client, renting the room (Because he doesn't have his own) who resolves the abstraction of the concept to one rather than any, stripping the poor owner of his resolving powers, coercing him to purchase and maintain one rather then any software

Lets apply this concept to Taxi Travel and Ferrari. Perhaps next year New York City will shine Red instead of yellow when viewed from the top of the Empire State Building ;-)
Old 12-02-2015, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
And I also agree with others here like Ghostwriter that the difference in pricing between the Basic PT12 and HD12 is way too high now that there are only a few features left in HD which IMO doesn't warrant the $500 Difference in price.
For me, it really has come down to what is fair?

There are many HD users that saved a long time to be able to purchase their HD rigs. But, they did it because music is important to them, it's what they live for. They aren't working professionals, but professionals, none the less. They cannot afford to pay an extortion fee, but don't want to have to move away from the hardware they saved so long to purchase. They don't have clients, but should not have to switch to Non-HD Pro Tools because of this. Those are the people that are getting screwed.

Please don't flame me for saying this, but, the cost of the upgrade means nothing to me. I am one of the very fortunate whom could sit on my butt for the rest of my life and do nothing. I only mention this because I have been very vocal about this from day one, that it is not fair to HD users whom are not in my situation.

I am trying to get Avid to see that it is not fair.

All HD users are not in the same situation, and to charge them as if they were, is wrong.
Split the HD fee like Non-HD Pro Tools. It's what's fair.

I don't complain because I don't want to pay the HD extortion fee, I complain because it is going to hurt many whom cannot afford it.

The fact that most of the HD features have been given away, is just an added slap in the face.
Retro 176 (pair), Pultec EQP-1A (pair), Germanium Comps (pair), BAE 10DC (pair), Distressor (pair), Manley Vari-Mu, Sta-Level, Zener, SSL Fusion, SSL FX G384, API 2500, LA2A, 1176, Bricasti, Massive Passive, Anamod ATS-1, Eventide H3500, TC 2290, Yamaha D5000, PCM92, PCM70... Amps, Amps & More Amps.

Last edited by Ghost In The Attic; 12-02-2015 at 07:23 AM.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:18 AM

i have been waiting for someone to chime in that has 10 + HD systems and what their Upgrade Strategy is ...

10 x 599.00 = 5990.00 1st year (499.00 per month or 16.63 per day)

10 x 399.00 = 3990.00 every year following (332.00 per month or 11.07 per day)

are you passing this cost on to clients in OverBloated catering costs, or in your Hourly Rates, etc .. ??

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 12-02-2015, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooksound View Post
As I see it, avid is facing another very hard and important deadline on Mar 31, 2016 where a lot of plans expire.

That's very convincing! It's so true that we'll see what happens to Avid when Mar falls. .. Those who upgraded are gonna piss off for sure. Poor Avid, we shall see.

Last edited by Southsidemusic; 12-02-2015 at 11:22 AM. Reason: f'Off finger emojie
Old 12-02-2015, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwriter View Post
For me, it really has come down to what is fair?

There are many HD users that saved a long time to be able to purchase their HD rigs. But, they did it because music is important to them, it's what they live for. They aren't working professionals, but professionals, none the less. They cannot afford to pay an extortion fee, but don't want to have to move away from the hardware they saved so long to purchase. They don't have clients, but should not have to switch to Non-HD Pro Tools because of this. Those are the people that are getting screwed.

Please don't flame me for saying this, but, the cost of the upgrade means nothing to me. I am one of the very fortunate whom could sit on my butt for the rest of my life and do nothing. I only mention this because I have been very vocal about this from day one, that it is not fair to HD users whom are not in my situation.

I am trying to get Avid to see that it is not fair.

All HD users are not in the same situation, and to charge them as if they were, is wrong.
Split the HD fee like Non-HD Pro Tools. It's what's fair.

I don't complain because I don't want to pay the HD extortion fee, I complain because it is going to hurt many whom cannot afford it.

The fact that most of the HD features have been given away, is just an added slap in the face.

+1 - Respected! 🏼
Old 12-02-2015, 07:41 AM

Well John,
I don't have 10+ HD rigs, but I do have 6 HD rigs. I can tell you this. I have upgraded all of the licenses to have the support plan. However, Avid has put such a bad taste in my mouth with this whole service plan fiasco along with not having a stable version of PT 12 that I can actually use with a client present. Service plan price for HD? Totally unfair and very little value for money. I was one of the first to jump on the HD service plans exactly one year ago with the promise from my rep that it was a great offer and that there were big things coming. So now, 12 months later and FINALLY Protools has something that I find interesting to upgrade to, track freeze! So, I install a clean disk with a clean Yosemite install, and a fresh PtoTools everything. Excited to try it, but the software is crashing and hanging all over the place. Really disappointing. So now I'm nearly at the end of my first service plan cycle and there is 0 value for money. I cannot afford to install versions of software that don't work. Avid should understand that and at least extend the service plans for HD users to two years for the same price of one. Why, simply because we cannot be the first to jump when the new stuff comes out. Here I am at the end of the first year and I still cannot use the new releases because the don't work properly.
m
Old 12-02-2015, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
i have been waiting for someone to chime in that has 10 + HD systems and what their Upgrade Strategy is ...

10 x 599.00 = 5990.00 1st year (499.00 per month or 16.63 per day)

10 x 399.00 = 3990.00 every year following (332.00 per month or 11.07 per day)

are you passing this cost on to clients in OverBloated catering costs, or in your Hourly Rates, etc .. ??
My job has 15 HDX rigs and a boatload of Media Composer rigs. The one time PT yearly's was discussed in a meeting months ago, the only comment was, "there are tools we need to keep our billables intact". That was it. There was more concern for new tax breaks and the increasing energy costs moving beyond the negotiated rate. Balancing the scale on increased monthly's is par for the course and is done with a variety of mechanisms.

On my personal setup, there are things I needed that were still only in HD. Plus I have an HDX card I may press into action at some point. It was worth the tax deductible $32.50/month to me. When I upgraded to 10HD it was $999. I found going from 10HD to 12HD to be a good deal at $599.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:45 AM

HD > heavy debts
1. The basic math..In Millions of USD Changes in Working Capital

https://www.google.com/finance?q=NAS...nYFMOg2AbJnqVQ

By participating, you are deemed to grant to Avid a perpetual, worldwide, royalty free, irrevocable, non-exclusive license (with rights to sublicense) to use any ideas, concepts, know-how or techniques contained in such User Feedback for any purpose whatsoever, including but not limited to developing, manufacturing and marketing products incorporating such User Feedback.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangoportland View Post
HD > heavy debts
1. The basic math..In Millions of USD Changes in Working Capital

https://www.google.com/finance?q=NAS...nYFMOg2AbJnqVQ
It was just as bad back in the PT 7.4-PT 9 days when everyone was happy. No one cared about Avid's finances then, but now...