How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2015, 01:42 PM

Default Avid YOU Are Almost Out Of Time

Avid,

You have less than a month to prove you can release a stable version of Pro Tools 12 for everyone, not just some.

So far, you are failing.

You set the December 30th deadline, we did not.

You expect $599 from HD users and deliver what?

The clock you started is ticking down.
Retro 176 (pair), Pultec EQP-1A (pair), Germanium Comps (pair), BAE 10DC (pair), Distressor (pair), Manley Vari-Mu, Sta-Level, Zener, SSL Fusion, SSL FX G384, API 2500, LA2A, 1176, Bricasti, Massive Passive, Anamod ATS-1, Eventide H3500, TC 2290, Yamaha D5000, PCM92, PCM70... Amps, Amps & More Amps.

Last edited by Ghost In The Attic; 12-01-2015 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:22 PM

Default Re: Avid YOU Are Almost Out Of Time

It's my guess that Avid has been reserving the more awaited features for the pinnacle of the holiday season (a couple weeks into Dec).
They've already sprung a few surprises already. So it makes sense that they would reserve a "pinnacle" release in time for the major holidays and trickle in a few more minor updates shortly thereafter. Following that, introduce the official version of Pro Tools 2016 with the promise of yet more forthcoming features for those who have invested their money in 2016.

Last edited by take77; 12-02-2015 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by take77 View Post
It's my guess that Avid has been reserving the more awaited features for the pinnacle of the holiday season (a couple weeks into Dec).
They've already sprung a few surprises already. So it makes sense that they would reserve a "pinnacle" release in time for the major holidays and trickle in a few more minor updates thereafter. At that point introducing the official version of Pro Tools 2016.
Lol...umm...wut?

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 12-01-2015, 02:31 PM

At this time I lost all my hope. I will wait a few more days… and pay them $600 for nothing. I'm a Pro Tools user since PT III. Six different systems upgrades, from Audiomeida III all the way to HDX. This is the first time ever I'm really unhappy to give AVID my money. I was angry when they had charged $1000 for the PT HD 10 upgrade, but later on I could get the $600 deal for it. So it was ok.

But this time… it feels really bad to give them those $600…

Hackintosh, 3,7 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, PT HDX 2023.9.0, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard

Mac Book M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, OSX 23.6, PT Studio 2023.9.0
Old 12-01-2015, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelis View Post
At this time I lost all my hope. I will wait a few more days… and pay them $600 for nothing. I'm a Pro Tools user since PT III. Six different systems upgrades, from Audiomeida III all the way to HDX. This is the first time ever I'm really unhappy to give AVID my money. I was angry when they had charged $1000 for the PT HD 10 upgrade, but later on I could get the $600 deal for it. So it was ok.

But this time… it feels really bad to give them those $600…
So why do you do it if it makes u feel bad ?

Perhaps if folks like yourself stopped shelling out money for stuff you obviously do not like Avid would be forced to make a change. But if you just keep paying for whatever they throw at you nothing will change it will only get worse
Old 12-01-2015, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
So why do you do it if it makes u feel bad ?

Perhaps if folks like yourself stopped shelling out money for stuff you obviously do not like Avid would be forced to make a change. But if you just keep paying for whatever they throw at you nothing will change it will only get worse
I run a comercial mixing place and need to keep it up to date. Simple as that. If I don't upgrade until december 31th, it will cost me $1000 next year. So, I'm forced to do it now. Like many others. You know how it works 25ghosts…

Hackintosh, 3,7 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, PT HDX 2023.9.0, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard

Mac Book M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, OSX 23.6, PT Studio 2023.9.0
Old 12-01-2015, 08:49 PM

Not having Avid hardware gives me a few more options than some so I got a cheap deal on a vanilla license for 12.

I do miss the advanced automation features (trim not so much) but for $599/$399 vs $99 I can learn to live without them for now. After 2 years the HD upgrade works out at the same price anyway should they get their HD act together.

Interestingly though, before all this subscription/support plan debacle I never considered ever using another DAW - I now use both Cubase & Studio One regularly. Can't ever see me doing a final mix in either of them but if Avid keep going the way they are & the others keep advancing like they are, you never know I might ditch PT for good. I've certainly scrapped all plans of either an Artist setup (control + 2 mixes) or even an S3. As soon as Slate sort out their Windows drivers I'll be going Mti2 now it supports all major DAWS (assuming the Windows drivers actually work properly...)

Honestly though, can you really see Avid pulling an rabbit out of the HD hat this late into the game? 12.3 was the perfect opportunity & they didn't even bring true freeze to the table.

Shifting Sands Audio
www.shiftingsandsaudio.com
soundcloud.com/shiftingsands

Asus X79 Deluxe | i7 4930K @ 4.1 | 32Gb Ripjaws CL9 GBLZ | Radeon R5 230 | Win7 Pro (64) | 256Gb Samsung 850 SSD | 2x 1Tb Seagate SATA | 250Gb Samsung EVO SSD | 128 Samsung SSD | Antec 650W | ProTools 11.3.2HD, 10.3.9HD, 12.5 | Cubase 9.0.20 Pro | Nuendo 8 | Studio One 3.2 Pro | RME UFX | 2x Octopre Mkii Dynamic | Alphatrack | DTouch | Logitech G510 | Kensington Trackball | Yamaha UX256
Old 12-01-2015, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Then you "need it" and if you have a commercial studio company you can write that off in a week! We make that $599 in less than 4 hrs and sometimes in 1 hour and its tax deductable so why the long face!?

I really do understand if you sit at home doing this for fun and hobby with no income from the music, then $599 is pretty steep but for business like yours and ours its pretty reasonable.

I had one of my cars (Porsche 997.2 Turbo S) in for the first large inspection and it set me back over 4K and my lil sister has a Huyndai i10 and she paid $166 for the same service.

I don't "need" a Porsche as I have afew other awesome toys but I want it and I expect to pay way more for basically the same service and parts as a normal car.

Now with the features ( I k ow they are not new features ) added to the basic PT12 you can do almost everything you can on HD ecept surround and thats only $99 a year which is silly cheap IMHO of course.

Disclaimer:

I'm NOT defending Avid or the prices or the issues people have with bugs and crashes etc, Just stating that those of us with studios making money can deduct this on taxes etc and for those the $599 shouldn't be a surprise.
All pretty valid except there comes a time when an issue becomes more than money & I think that's certainly where I am with it right now. It's a matter of principle.

Don't forget there are a lot of HD users who are not tied to Avid hardware either by buying their HD license off eBay etc. or the (much more painful!) toolkit upgrade route.

With the latest batch of vanilla additions from the HD side of things it basically makes the argument for buying HD software-only a pointless exercise (maybe that was Avid's goal, who knows) but nevertheless there are those out there who have ploughed a lot of money into the HD software only and are now having to pay $500/$300 more for a handful of options.

Anyway, at the end of the day Avid have made it what it is & the only thing us users can do is make our own minds up about whether it's worth it or not. If enough think it is worth it, Avid have carried out their plan successfully & the shareholders will be happy. If not, we'll see a change of policy on the current HD upgrade options and Louis will be looking for a new job.

Shifting Sands Audio
www.shiftingsandsaudio.com
soundcloud.com/shiftingsands

Asus X79 Deluxe | i7 4930K @ 4.1 | 32Gb Ripjaws CL9 GBLZ | Radeon R5 230 | Win7 Pro (64) | 256Gb Samsung 850 SSD | 2x 1Tb Seagate SATA | 250Gb Samsung EVO SSD | 128 Samsung SSD | Antec 650W | ProTools 11.3.2HD, 10.3.9HD, 12.5 | Cubase 9.0.20 Pro | Nuendo 8 | Studio One 3.2 Pro | RME UFX | 2x Octopre Mkii Dynamic | Alphatrack | DTouch | Logitech G510 | Kensington Trackball | Yamaha UX256
Old 12-01-2015, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazC View Post
All pretty valid except there comes a time when an issue becomes more than money & I think that's certainly where I am with it right now. It's a matter of principle.

Don't forget there are a lot of HD users who are not tied to Avid hardware either by buying their HD license off eBay etc. or the (much more painful!) toolkit upgrade route.

With the latest batch of vanilla additions from the HD side of things it basically makes the argument for buying HD software-only a pointless exercise (maybe that was Avid's goal, who knows) but nevertheless there are those out there who have ploughed a lot of money into the HD software only and are now having to pay $500/$300 more for a handful of options.

Anyway, at the end of the day Avid have made it what it is & the only thing us users can do is make our own minds up about whether it's worth it or not. If enough think it is worth it, Avid have carried out their plan successfully & the shareholders will be happy. If not, we'll see a change of policy on the current HD upgrade options and Louis will be looking for a new job.
I agree with 99.9% of what you posted and as I said, I agree that $599 is quite a lot for someone who might not earn money on their gear but have committed to Avid hardware and have to buy into the HD plan.

And I also agree with others here like Ghostwriter that the difference in pricing between the Basic PT12 and HD12 is way too high now that there are only a few features left in HD which IMO doesn't warrant the $500 Difference in price.

I have never used the 1 free ASC that comes with purchases and never had to buy one either as this forum always comes up with answers and for Avid the knowledge of all of us members here are insanely great and Avid knows this of course which makes these support plans even less attractive for customers.

Why pay for something we can get free here on the forum? Thats my issue with this new direction Avid have chosen and I really feel they need to take another look at the pricing scheme and atleast separate HD Support Plan and HD Non Support Plan like they done in Basic PT12. $99 dollars and $599 is a huge difference and this can be done much better IMNSHO

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-02-2015, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by take77 View Post
They've already sprung a few surprises already. So it makes sense that they would reserve a "pinnacle" release in time for the major holidays and trickle in a few more minor updates thereafter. At that point introducing the official version of Pro Tools 2016.
I hope for the same model. Get all the new features out there asap and get it over with. Then avid should focus on getting everything stable and correct all the annoying bugs still out there in PT and AIR Effects Bundles etc.

As I see it, avid is facing another very hard and important deadline on Mar 31, 2016 where a lot of plans expire.