Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 01-27-2015, 01:53 PM

Default Re: Upgrade from PT11 to PT12 Cost

I'm so confused!
Old 01-27-2015, 02:11 PM

Guys, I'm just the messenger. If you don't believe me, read the FAQ on the website.

I agree that it's outrageous and stupid, and I hope a lawsuit can be brought against them.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:31 PM

Well this part is confusing. I get that PT 11 users have until 12/31/15 to sign up for the new annual subscription plan. Fine.

So I read this is the FAQ:

Quote:
Q. What is a perpetual license?
A. A "perpetual license" is a license that does not expire—you own the software. You get a perpetual license when you purchase a new Pro Tools or Pro Tools | HD system or Pro Tools software. New Pro Tools software purchases come with a one-year annual upgrade and support plan. After one year, you have the option of renewing your plan to continue receiving the latest features. If you choose not to renew, you can continue using your software indefinitely at the latest version you have, but will not be able to upgrade it at a later time.

Q. Will my Pro Tools perpetual license stop working at the end of the one-year upgrade and support plan period?
A. No, you can continue to use Pro Tools if you allow your upgrade and support plan to expire. However, if you want to continue receiving updates with new features, you will need to renew your plan before it expires or switch to a subscription. Pro Tools and Pro Tools | HD owners will have through the end of 2015 to get on an annual upgrade and support plan. If you don’t get on a plan, you will not be able to upgrade your software in the future.
That seems clear enough...its a perpetual license and you'll always be able to use Pro Tools at your current version if you elect not to renew your subscription. But then there this a couple paragraphs on the FAQ later:

Quote:
Q. What happens if I allow my Pro Tools subscription to lapse?
A. You will no longer be able to use Pro Tools after your subscription lapses. If your subscription has lapsed and you wish to continue using Pro Tools, simply start a new monthly or annual subscription.
Huh? Didn't they just say that if you let your subscription lapse you can continue using your software, just not get upgrades and such? And now they say "No, let lapse and you're toast!"

Ummmm...which is it Avid? Please clarify??

Old 01-27-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Well this part is confusing. I get that PT 11 users have until 12/31/15 to sign up for the new annual subscription plan. Fine.

So I read this is the FAQ:

That seems clear enough...its a perpetual license and you'll always be able to use Pro Tools at your current version if you elect not to renew your subscription. But then there this a couple paragraphs on the FAQ later:

Huh? Didn't they just say that if you let your subscription lapse you can continue using your software, just not get upgrades and such? And now they say "No, let lapse and you're toast!"

Ummmm...which is it Avid? Please clarify??
Your first double quote is for Support Plan and the second quote is subscription related i.e monthly or yearly subscription.

A Subscription lapses and stops working when you stop paying. Pretty clear

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-27-2015, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Your first double quote is for Support Plan and the second quote is subscription related i.e monthly or yearly subscription.

A Subscription lapses and stops working when you stop paying. Pretty clear
Oh, okay...I see now. Wow...this is confusing! All this jargon to learn!

Old 01-27-2015, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Oh, okay...I see now. Wow...this is confusing! All this jargon to learn!
Agree

It's like they made it soo confusing we would give up and jump in

Anywhere I look there is confusion galore. Hundreds of posts asking the same thing in different ways and still can't understand why it needs to be written so damn convoluted

Best Regards
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-27-2015, 03:00 PM

So here is a bit of twisted logic... but try it on...

IF: There really is no resale past this year then the idea of "equity" kind of goes away. This changes the Ownership/Rent/Subscribe equation (all IMO of course)...

So lets say you have PT11 - do nothing (possibly sell it if you can!) ! If not...

When the next big thing comes out (or now if you want 11) - subscribe either yearly or monthly. If you don't use it all the time (as in every month) 10 months of subscription is the same price as subscribing yearly. And yearly subscribing is only $100 more than maintenance (YES - only $100 more!!!)! So since you get the first year maintenance in the initial $899 it takes 7 yes SEVEN years to break even between buying (which you possibly/likely can never sell) and Subscribing.

So there is my take - SELL your PT Vanilla licenses while you can! Are you SURE you will even be using PT Vanilla in 7 years???

I'd also wager that you can buy iloks with a frozen license (Perpetual license with lapsed support plan) in 2016 for pennies on the dollar....
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 01-27-2015, 03:07 PM

The way I read it is, $299 annually gets you everything... updates, support, upgrades to new versions etc... (for vanilla), or you can pay Monthly for the same.

And this could be started anytime... next year... or in two years... or in three years...

Correct?
Old 01-27-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco1969 View Post
I would have thought that no matter when you decided to "opt in" it would cost you $199... whether its now, or in 2 years time!

This would mean that if I, in two years time decide I would like to upgrade my PT11 to PT12 (if 13 isn't out by then) then it would cost me $899!!??

That CANNOT be right.... doesn't make ANY sense.... when you compare the cost it was to upgrade from 9 to 10... or 10 to 11. I got a free upgrade from 9 to 10... but the upgrade price from 10 to 11 was around the £200 mark if I remember correctly. So, now it would be $899!.. Ye right!

I have no need to upgrade just yet, I paid my money and am entitled to all the updates etc to PT11.

I wish someone from Avid would pitch in here.

(If this is indeed the case then Logic Pro X here I come, lol)
That's why the main new licensing thread over in the Pro Tools 11 section of the DUC is so big. We've been discussing this new scheme since last October when it was announced.

Short answer in response to your "That CANNOT be right.... doesn't make ANY sense" comment is ...

It IS right .... and ... it DOES make sense to Avid.

Avid will from now on have 'guaranteed' steady income regardless of how much they do in the way of introducing new features and fixing existing bugs.

You'll pay $199 per year (or $599 if your a HD licence owner) instead of a similar fee as a 'one off' every time an upgrade is issued (in recent history every 18 months to 2 years).

If you don't join the support plan scheme your existing licence will continue to work, but will become unupgradable.

In that case, if you wanted to update at some point in the future, you'd either have to pay $899 to buy a new licence, or you could go down the rental route (monthly or annual subscription).

If you go the rental route, that licence would stop working if you stop renting.

Whether you buy or rent a new licence, you'll still have your old licence too, version frozen in time forever. You may be able to sell it, or you may not be, it depends on the exact licence.

Note that 'at this time' as Avid puts it, you cannot sell a licence that has been upgraded to the new support plan regime, presumably be ause they haven't made arrangements to transfer however many days are left in a support plan from one person to another. That may change in the future, but on the other hand, it may not.

As well as a money grab, its an attempt to kill off the market for 2nd hand licences.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 01-27-2015, 03:19 PM

No. I don't buy that at all