Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 11-03-2013, 09:15 PM

Default How do I stop playlist view destroying clip groups?

This may be a silly question, and has probably been covered in the duc before, but the answer is not obvious to me and it's doing my head in somewhat...

I regularly swap between track views using CTRL-CMD left and right. Sometimes over all tracks by adding the ALT key.
However, if I've created a clip group on a track, but then accidentally hit left too many times when going back to the Waveform view, my clip groups on that and associated track are destroyed. I know I can go directly back to waveform view by hitting the "-" key, but the left right is ingrained in me now.

The clip groups still exist in the clip bin, but I then have to spot them back to their original position, which is time consuming to say the least. The action is not undoable, so if you accidentally do it over a number of tracks, the results can be disastrous. (Especially if you use clips groups as notes on groups of files...)

Is this meant to be a feature? (And if so, what purpose does it serve?)

Thanks for your input. (and for putting up with many parenthesis)...
Old 11-04-2013, 07:07 AM

Default Re: How do I stop playlist view destroying clip groups?

I already posted about this behavior some months ago...
I think it's definitely a bug: if you change the track view to playlist (on a track with clip groups) from the track view dropdown menu, a warning appears and asks if you really want to switch to playlist view as this will destroy all clip groups. Moreover, until pro Tools 8 this was the behavior if you switched between track views with the key command (SHIFT+COMMAND+left/right) too.
Something changed between PT8 and PT9. (I'm sure about this as we have some PT8 computers in the studio and this works as expected).

Hopefully this (potentially destructive) behavior will change sooner rather than later!
Old 11-04-2013, 08:13 AM

clutch, can you please provide specs concerning the system you are receiving this error on: Pro Tools Version, CPU, etc...

Thanks!
Old 11-14-2013, 09:27 AM

FWIW, I have this bug on my system (OS 10.7.5, PT10.3.6+CPTK) and on a OS 10.6.8 ProToolsHD 9.0.6 system.
In Pro tools 8.0.4 (I just tried) when I use the key command (command+control + left/right arrow) to switch to the playlist view, the warning message appears (as it should and as it happens if I select playlist view from the track view dropdown menu on any Pro Tools version).
I don't know if this happens with Pro Tools 11 too, as I didn't upgrade yet.