Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)

Old 12-21-2008, 07:04 PM

Default Re: ProTools 8 - Input Monitoring "Off"

Why not just write the punch in mutes as automation?

When the track is done being recorded just wipe the automation data or create a separate playlist
in case you need to go back. Mind you I agree 100% with the opinions expressed here regarding
the software monitoring. This could be a work around.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:16 AM

Quote:
because it is a lot of hassle and you may not know in time ahead when you are actually gonna punch in! For example, when doing band recordings I punch in not before I know the band is in locked in and know at what position they are playing.

I always respected Digidesign to have very well though out workflows in their software, as opposed to Logic which just throws a ton of possibilities at you giving you ten different ways to go from A to B. But in this matter there is a strong need for them to see how not being able to turn software monitoring off is a serious issure for many users.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:52 PM

ah Yes I can see then. writing all those in would be a PITA if you are
tracking a whole band.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:18 PM

Red face Re: ProTools 8 - Input Monitoring "Off"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyflash View Post
Even when just recording 1 demo singer it is an issue to write automation for recording. If you've ever recorded 42 tracks of vocals (POP/R&B) you will see. The singer says - "o.k, I'm gonna stack this harmony part 4 times each for the low mid and high harms" - thats 12 tracks (which doesn't include unison back vox)...So I go through track by track as she stacks the word "sexy" or some b.s., and I am to write mute automation too? Not likely. And have to remove it afterwards too?

So here is the workflow currently...

1) Make selection with edit cursor then use ; & P with (track selection follows edit selection)
2) Record enable track with mouse (will now use shift+R - woo hoo!!!!)
3) hit f12 - stop when needed
4) record enable next track with mouse
5) hit f12 -stop when needed

add mute automation in there and you can see where it gets a little insane

this is done up to 20 times per harmony vox area per session depending on how much harmony a singer or their songwriter wants on a particular word.

Dunno seems like a bit much...

Allow us to turn it off, or allow us to mute during a punch pass, or allow the opposite of input only monitoring = track only monitoring. All of them are fine for us really!
Old 12-29-2008, 10:14 PM

Sounds like you need a Mackie Control, or some other hardware device to hit mute and record at the same time. This is how I handle it. actually I find it easiest to hit mute with my left hand on the MCU and 3 on the number pad with my right. Keeps me on my toes...

I find the control surface indispensable for that kind of "two-tasks-at-once" kinda thing.

A Digi 003 doesn't have the mix knob that someone was asking about earlier in the thread, to my knowledge. Only Mbox family...

Eli
Old 12-30-2008, 02:23 PM
Avid

Quote:
A Digi 003 doesn't have the mix knob that someone was asking about earlier in the thread, to my knowledge. Only Mbox family...
It doesn't because it has the option for Low Latency Monitoring.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitamineli View Post
Sounds like you need a Mackie Control, or some other hardware device to hit mute and record at the same time.

Eli
Again, this does not work with punch ins. As an artist/instrumentalist needs to hear the previously recorded material
Old 01-12-2009, 01:01 PM

I have to chime in here too and say that this is a really important thing and I can't believe it still hasn't ever been implemented. I have a 003 and I wouldn't feel all that comfortable recording at 64 or 32 samples if I knew it was mission critical. I want to turn input monitoring OFF and just monitor through the Mic's channel in my hardware mixer and then monitor playback from my record track in Pro Tools for punching in.

Please consider this for an update of Pro Tools 8.

thanks
Old 01-12-2009, 01:10 PM

I had read that Pro Tools 8 Native systems would have the "I" button for input monitoring on every channel strip, as HD does, but then I get the product and they scrubbed it out at the last minute...
Old 01-12-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppertree View Post
I had read that Pro Tools 8 Native systems would have the "I" button for input monitoring on every channel strip, as HD does, but then I get the product and they scrubbed it out at the last minute...
Where did you read this? That was never promoted in their literature.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit