Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 05-11-2007, 03:01 PM

Default Recording Plugin Automation with a Midi Controller Issue

Hello,

I'm running Pro Tools M-Powered 7.3.1 with an E-Mu Xboard 25 as my MIDI controller and using Xpand and Native Instruments - MASSIVE as my soft synths. I am looping a 2 bar length section and recording plugin automation doing multipule passes over the looped region until I have a pass that I like. I have enabled the parameter I want to automate, I have the track record armed, I am using both latch and write mode. And the plugins are loaded into instrument tracks. I have 2 problems.

1) With Xpand I need to be able to record the automation using the knobs on the Xboard 25 WITHOUT WRITING OVER THE NOTE DATA.

2) I cannot automate plugin automation on MASSIVE with the Xboard 25 at all. I can twist the knobs on the plugin itself with the mouse and the automation info shows up in red in real time in the sequencer window just like it should. But when using the knobs on the Xboard 25 the plugin parameters move, I hear the change in the audio, but no automation info is written to the track.

What am I doing wrong???
Old 05-11-2007, 03:43 PM

Default Re: Recording Plugin Automation with a Midi Controller Issue

Quote:
With Xpand I need to be able to record the automation using the knobs on the Xboard 25 WITHOUT WRITING OVER THE NOTE DATA.
'MIDI Merge' solves that problem. The flux capacitor symbol in the Transport. (View>Transport>MIDI Controls).
Quote:
when using the knobs on the Xboard 25 the plugin parameters move, I hear the change in the audio, but no automation info is written to the track.
Check that you haven't done a Continuous Controller pass for that particular CC# pot.

Does Massive support MIDI Learn or have a dedicated Controller Page?

filosofem
Old 05-11-2007, 03:46 PM

Quote:
With Xpand I need to be able to record the automation using the knobs on the Xboard 25 WITHOUT WRITING OVER THE NOTE DATA.
Also, personally, I'd use the Automation Enable window in conjunction.

filosofem
Old 05-11-2007, 04:27 PM

Okay I was able to solve problem #1 by making sure MIDI merege is activated and record enabling the track but just playing (in loop mode) and making the knob twists. This wrote the automation in red and kept the note data.

Problem #2 has changed somewhat. I am now able to write the automation with the xboard knob, but is shows up in black, not in red like on the Xpand track (thats fine with me, just an observation). I have to not only record enable the track but also record enable the transport. This is again writting over my note data even with MIDI merge activated.

Yes, I have MIDI learn on massive and have assigned my knobs properly. Yes, there is a MIDI control panel.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:20 PM

Try this setup:

*Enable MIDI Merge.
*Do not record enable the MIDI/Instrument track.
*Right-click the VI parameter that which you want to automate and enable MIDI Learn.
*Select Plug-In automation enable button and assign the Plug-In Automation which corresponds with that which you have assigned MIDI Learn too.
*Pro Tools Menus>Window>Automation and select Plug-In in the Automation Enable window.
*If this is the initial automation pass, select Write from the Automation Mode selector.
*If this is the second automation pass with a different VI parameter then select Touch from the Automation Mode selector.
*Enable Loop Playback and press Play.

filosofem
Old 05-15-2007, 12:18 PM

I have to record enable the instrument track. If I don't then my midi controller knobs will not work.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:16 PM

Quote:
I have to record enable the instrument track. If I don't then my midi controller knobs will not work.
That is correct. You are using a MIDI controller, not a control surface, so it treats it like any other MIDI controller and regular MIDI data. It is not automation data, which would be received from a MIDI control surface. To receive data from a MIDI controller, a MIDI track needs to be record armed. To capture this data to the track, the transport must be recording.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 05-15-2007, 09:10 PM

Quote:
To receive data from a MIDI controller, a MIDI track needs to be record armed. To capture this data to the track, the transport must be recording.
Shawn, agreed, however, the original poster is working with Xpand and thus does not need to record arm the Instrument track to record an automation pass, just select Track Name.

filo
Old 05-16-2007, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Shawn, agreed, however, the original poster is working with Xpand and thus does not need to record arm the Instrument track to record an automation pass, just select Track Name.
That would be true with Instrument tracks, yep (I need to stop just glancing at posts...), where you only need to select the track name for it to be the active "play-through" (though there are even times where I have found that to be a little "if-y"), but not MIDI tracks. MIDI tracks would still need to be record armed.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 05-16-2007, 07:20 PM

Yeah quite right you are Shawn, I didn't know that ...well I mean if I'm using MIDI tracks I'm normally using external modules so yeah of cause the track needs arming.

filo