Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 10-19-2012, 09:31 AM

Default Questions about the hardware needed for Pro Tools 10 HD

I read that you need one a core card (the cards are optional), cables and an audio interface. Yet a friend of mines e-mailed me and said that I could get by on an Asio sound device. I just wanted to know if that was a true statement or not. The reason I ask is because he only uses Fruity Loops so his familiarity of Pro Tools is not that great. I'm looking to buy the Pro Tools 10 HD so I wanted to know some of the different affordable options people use. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:54 AM

Default Re: Questions about the hardware needed for Pro Tools 10 HD

I also forgot to mention that I'm on a Windows 7 64bit machine with 6gig of memory.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:17 AM

Yes, you can run 10HD software with an asio interface. I run it with a Digi003.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-19-2012, 10:59 AM

Thanks for the feedback albee1952! I'll research those Digi products. But just to clarify, did you need any special type of Core card and/or Accel card to connect your Digi003 to your computer?
Old 10-19-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhatter View Post
Thanks for the feedback albee1952! I'll research those Digi products. But just to clarify, did you need any special type of Core card and/or Accel card to connect your Digi003 to your computer?
No the 003 is a Firewire interface, you need a firewire port or card (make sure its a recommended type) for this to work. If you dont' own a (venerable) 003 already there are probalby some more modern interfaces I'd buy first that are likely to be around longer and better supported (e.g. UAD Apollo?). OTOH you should be able to find a 003 very cheap . You need to let your requirements for inputs/preamps/outputs drive your selection. If you do happen to have HD cards and a compatible computer I'd be tempted to always consider an Omni or HD IO or used 192. But HD/TDM hardware won't live past Pro Tools 10. What exactly is happening with the 003 in future is unclear.

With a 003 or simmialr are just using the HD software/license with this firewire interface and have benefits of features/capabilities in the HD software that the regular version does not (higher track counts, etc.) but doing this you have none of the features of the HD/TDM hardware (TDM plugins, ability to use low latency/scalable digilink IO like the HD IO, etc.).

OTOH if you just are doing simple stuff there may be no need to go HD. If you go HD start thinking about ~$1k software upgrade costs when the next release comes out, more than you can buy a whole basic Pro Tools license for. At least that was the last upgrade, I'd expect similar in future.

Darryl
Old 10-19-2012, 01:56 PM

Thanks for spreading the knowledge up Darryl. And yes, after reading I could see that the 003 was a little outdated but it is good to know that you don't need all the extra cards. So I will research other Digi products.

You also wrote: "With a 003 or similar are just using the HD software/license with this firewire interface and have benefits of features/capabilities in the HD software that the regular version does not (higher track counts, etc.) but doing this you have none of the features of the HD/TDM hardware (TDM plugins, ability to use low latency/scalable digilink IO like the HD IO, etc.)."

I'm not up to speed with all of that yet so I guess I will have to weigh out the pros and cons after more research. But it sounds like the HD/TDM is a little more expensive for upkeep.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:43 PM

I am having a really hard time getting my PT 10 system to recognize my 003 Rack. Any tips? I'm running a brand spankin new MBP w/ Mountain Lion, and a fresh install of Pro Tools 10.

Please help!
Old 10-19-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiegel View Post
I am having a really hard time getting my PT 10 system to recognize my 003 Rack. Any tips? I'm running a brand spankin new MBP w/ Mountain Lion, and a fresh install of Pro Tools 10.

Please help!
We need much more info about what you have done and what you have tried to do to debug this.

Did you install the latest 003 drivers? Does the FW port indicator on the 003 light up? Anything else in the FW chain? Have you tried a different cable?

Does the 003 work on another computer?

Darryl
Old 10-19-2012, 07:22 PM

Using HD software without at least an HD core card will mean you get no TDM plugins(which will be DOA when 11 rolls out anyway) so I don't see that as a big issue(was much more important with less-powerful computers from years gone by). I assume there are some other minor things you will lose, but I don't know what they are(and don't miss them). What you DO get with HD software and an ASIO interface is; all the features of the CPTK(a $2000 add-on), plus input monitoring per track(very handy for my needs) and those are well worth it(to me). I have a bit more affection for my 003 as its the controller version, and there is(to my way of thinking) a certain elegance with how well the 003 integrates(other 3rd party boxes often require some kind of routing/monitoring utility which I don't need). I do all my tracking at the 64 buffer setting and rarely even hear a mention about latency(I know which plugins to NOT use while tracking and keep ADC off until its time to mix). Sure, the 003 may not have the best sounding converters(but I defy anyone to name a song that WOULD have been a hit if only it was recorded thru netter converters) but my "money" channels bypass the 003 A>D anyway(Using a Focusrite ISA-428 w/digital card for my important 8 channels). If all you need is a few inputs, then I agree there are better choices(sonically), but if you will be bypassing with a lightpipe and/or SPDIF path, a used 003 is still a pretty solid choice(and a bargain if you shop around) The Focusrite firewire boxes are a great 3rd party option and RME is generally considered way better(but a bit more $$).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-20-2012, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhatter View Post
I also forgot to mention that I'm on a Windows 7 64bit machine with 6gig of memory.
read my sig.. top line.. thats what 8 channels in, 6 pre-amps, and full monitoring system in a box looks like...
with a little guitar fun tossed in for kicks... lol
its expandable of course... 16x16 is my goal..