Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2022, 01:33 AM

Default One more time: expand playlist to new tracks

This has been a pet peeve of mine for a long time. Searching for solutions took me to the PT9 area, so it's been a problem for others as well.

On this thread, the replies fell into two groups: 1. Why would you want to do this? and 2. Use expand matching alternates to new tracks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
is this a trick question?
If you're just comping a vocal track why not just use the playlist to track view function?
FWIW PT is only going to play 96 tracks anyway ( unless you have HD or CPTK)
Is this a record for zombie threads?

The reason for wanting to do this is... say you have three or four tracks/lanes in a playlist recorded in loop mode - not vocals, maybe guitar tracks - and you'd like to use them as separate tracks because there are good, but different, ideas on each one. Yes, you can make as many full track copies as there are playlist tracks/lanes and then delete all but the track/lane you want for each one (or make empty duplicates and drag the playlist takes to each new track separately), but that takes up a lot of time. It would be great to be able to simply tell PT to make as many new tracks (with inserts and sends as on the original) as there are playlist takes/lanes.

Using the expand playlist to new tracks falls over when there are multiple clips in each playlist take from editing. PT creates a new track for each clip (at least in my tries) which creates a jillion new tracks - not what you want.

If I'm missing something here, it would be great to know what it is.

Thanks,

Myles

System 2: 2021 M1 Mini 16Gb, OS 13.6, Native 2023.9, MH ULN-8 4d

http://www.mylescochran.com
Old 01-06-2022, 07:31 AM

Default Re: One more time: expand playlist to new tracks

Sounds like a good soundflow script to make!
Old 01-08-2022, 09:06 AM

This sounds like a great feature request. I’m on board for this feature. It would also be great to have the opposite where you can combine tracks into one with the clips going to Playlists. The opposite would be great for when someone sends me audio of various takes of a vocal and I would like to put them into the various playlists quickly.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 01-08-2022, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
This sounds like a great feature request. I’m on board for this feature. It would also be great to have the opposite where you can combine tracks into one with the clips going to Playlists. The opposite would be great for when someone sends me audio of various takes of a vocal and I would like to put them into the various playlists quickly.
This would be more useful for me (or rebuilding playlists in general)