Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 10-24-2021, 02:00 PM

Default Re: Is there a List M1 native AAX compatible Plug Ins for ProTools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
... I would say it takes until 2023 to call it "safe" to move on to Apple Silicon ... Until that, good luck maintaining your current config and hope it does not break in the wrong moment ...
Pro Tools - for the most part - has been stable on Windows for years. Perfect? Nope. I own and/or freelance on both platforms. My opinion. Don't be a hater.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 10-24-2021, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Because there is Pace/iLok code that runs in the address space of the DAW.
That much I understand -- I thought the suggestion was that the iLok app itself was connected.

My guess is that Pace already knows what changes need to be made and wouldn't be surprised if there's a beta of PT which has them implemented and working properly. The hurdle is really in Avid's camp.
Old 10-24-2021, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
Pro Tools - for the most part - has been stable on Windows for years. Perfect? Nope. I own and/or freelance on both platforms. My opinion. Don't be a hater.
I am not a hater. I just stopped using MS systems in 2002 and can soon celebrate 20 years of MS free life.
Old 10-24-2021, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
That much I understand -- I thought the suggestion was that the iLok app itself was connected.
The "app" is just for moving licenses.
There's a whole PACE/ilok wrapper of code (currently Eden) that is used to wrap software for protection. That includes Pro Tools. And all the iLok plugins. That wrapper is not M1 native and needs to be before any software that uses it can compile for the M1. We are talking about the driver for the iLok and the wrapper that implements the protection.
Old 10-24-2021, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
The "app" is just for moving licenses.
There's a whole PACE/ilok wrapper of code (currently Eden) that is used to wrap software for protection. That includes Pro Tools. And all the iLok plugins. That wrapper is not M1 native and needs to be before any software that uses it can compile for the M1. We are talking about the driver for the iLok and the wrapper that implements the protection.
This transition would have been a great time to abandon Pace and iLok. I mean, really, why is (some) music software still hanging on to this "protection" model? As if music software is the only software of value!?!? No other major software applications are protecting your license with such antiquated and 3rd-party-dependent means as an iLok, not anymore.
Old 10-24-2021, 06:58 PM

To be fair, Avid could switch to an online-verification system if their products were ALL subscription-based, like Adobe.

BUT, since they still sell Perpetual Licenses, and since some people own Perpetual License, and since there are a significant portion of valued Avid customers who work for on major Film and TV projects, and are required to have heavy-duty security by the Studios/Media Companies, which often includes air-gapping workstations to not have direct internet connectivity... it makes sense for Avid (and others) to continue to offer a non-internet-based authentication system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moogboy100 View Post
This transition would have been a great time to abandon Pace and iLok. I mean, really, why is (some) music software still hanging on to this "protection" model? As if music software is the only software of value!?!? No other major software applications are protecting your license with such antiquated and 3rd-party-dependent means as an iLok, not anymore.

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 10-24-2021, 08:53 PM

I hope they stick with iLok.
Old 10-25-2021, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivekerry View Post
To be fair, Avid could switch to an online-verification system if their products were ALL subscription-based, like Adobe.

And when that day comes I'll be forced to drop pro tools. I cannot depend on an internet connection to run pro tools...no way!!
Old 10-25-2021, 01:58 AM

Quote:
+1!
Old 10-25-2021, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Ditto… No online system for me. I live in the hinterlands!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCw...ogfR_7Q/videos

------------------------------------------------------
PT2023.12, OS X Monterey, Late 2013 MacPro, 6 core, 64 GB RAM, Orion Studio, Slate Raven MTi2, ISA428, ADL600, Distressor, Grace 501, Dimedio, Obsidian, One LA, BAC500, Harrison 32 EQ, UAD2 OCTO, Focal 6 be, Auratones...