Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2013, 03:14 AM

Default Pro tools 11 problems opening PT 10 sessions. Sample rate error 44.1 and 48 KHz

Dear All,

This is my first post, so be nice

I have upgraded to pro tools 11 from 10.
Some of my session in PT10 open fine, whereas some say "playback engine is not compatible with sample rate 44.1KHz".

Following advise on the forums I opened the audio interface GUI and changed the sample rate accordingly. Then when I open the same track I then get an error " "playback engine is not compatible with sample rate 48KHz". So, it has a problem with 44.1 and 48KHz.

I did not knowingly record in different sample rate. When I do successfully open a session the playback engine is mainly greyed-out.

I am using the same interface that I used to record them (M-audio ultra8R). I have also tried an M-audio FW1814 and an M-audio fast track pro. All having the same issues.

There are at least 5 tracks I am having issues with. I have successfully opened 3 so far.

Is anyone else having this issue? Anyone got any ideas on how to fix it?

Thanks,

Pete
CPU: Intel Quad core Q6600
Motherboard: MSI P45 Zilent Socket 775 Motherboard
RAM: Kingston HyperX 8GB (4 x 2048MB) 1066MHz PC2-8500
plugins: Superior drummer, EZmix, Waves (lots)

soundcloud.com/peter-thorpe
Old 08-15-2013, 03:31 AM

Default Re: Pro tools 11 problems opening PT 10 sessions. Sample rate error 44.1 and 48 KHz

I have been having a very similar issue with 11 and my mbox 3 pro, 10.3.7 works fine.

It seems that for me Pro Tools 11 needs to be launched first when you boot your PC, as other apps take control of the interface. if I launch 11, say after working in 10 I get a similar error message (my memory isn't serving me well right now, but it might be the same error)

One solution is to click on the session file which opens just fine, I'm still looking into this bug
Old 08-15-2013, 03:46 AM

Default Re: Pro tools 11 problems opening PT 10 sessions. Sample rate error 44.1 and 48 KHz

Thank you very much for your response. I will try opening pro tools straight away next time I load it (this wont be until Monday).

Just so you know I don't have pro tools 10 anymore. I only have pro tools 11 installed, I surrendered my license upon upgrade.

Cheers,

Pete

Old 08-15-2013, 09:57 AM

You may not have 10 installed, but you do have a license for 10, bundled with your 11 license. You can co-install 10.3.7 with 11 and go back and forth.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 08-15-2013, 10:22 AM

I was having sample rate issues with my eleven rack. If you're working in windows, make sure to disable your audio interface in the windows audio options before starting Pro Tools. Windows can tie is up sometimes. This worked for me when I was having trouble changing from 96 to 44.1 sessions.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjthorpe View Post
Dear All,

Some of my session in PT10 open fine, whereas some say "playback engine is not compatible with sample rate 44.1KHz".

Following advise on the forums I opened the audio interface GUI and changed the sample rate accordingly. Then when I open the same track I then get an error " "playback engine is not compatible with sample rate 48KHz". So, it has a problem with 44.1 and 48KHz.

Is anyone else having this issue? Anyone got any ideas on how to fix it?

Thanks,

Pete

I have been having this issue in PT 11 since I started using PT11. Like you PT 10 works fine for all sample rates but if I go to a 48KHz session in PT 11 I get the "playback engine is not compatible with sample rate 48KHz" error as you have. This is happening to me using a Digi 003R (see signature below).

The only fix I know is to select another playback card (Realtek in my PC), which alleviates the problem. I would however prefer to use the 003R audio.

You would think what works in PT 10 would work in PT 11 regarding audio outputs

jbkleyla, how are you disabling your Eleven Rack audio interface as opposed to another card selection and what are you using in it's place?

Lou
Avid Pro Tools Carbon, Eleven Rack (ERXP 2.0.1), Neve Shelford Channel, SSL Fusion Analog processor, Avid S1 Control Surface, Yamaha Montage 7 (also used as a MIDI controller), Korg Prologue 16 and Adam A7X Monitors.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.6, Logic Pro, VEP 7, Exponential Audio. Eventide, FabFilter. iZotope, McDSP, MDW, Softube, Sonnox, Soundtoys, Waves.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:49 AM

Thank you for your replies everyone. I hadn't realised that I had a pro tool 10 license bundled in with 11 (thanks - The Weed).

I will use PT 10 for a bit longer until this is resolved. It seems that a lot of people are complaining about this or very similar problems.

Like Luken, "jbkleyla, how are you disabling your Eleven Rack audio interface as opposed to another card selection and what are you using in it's place?"...

If you could tell us that would be great thanks.

I would like to have PT11 running as my computer specs are a little old now and an extra 15% performance will help delay a computer revamp.

Cheers

Old 08-19-2013, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjthorpe View Post
Thank you for your replies everyone. I hadn't realised that I had a pro tool 10 license bundled in with 11 (thanks - The Weed).

I will use PT 10 for a bit longer until this is resolved. It seems that a lot of people are complaining about this or very similar problems.

Like Luken, "jbkleyla, how are you disabling your Eleven Rack audio interface as opposed to another card selection and what are you using in it's place?"...

If you could tell us that would be great thanks.

I would like to have PT11 running as my computer specs are a little old now and an extra 15% performance will help delay a computer revamp.

Cheers
Make sure that the default settings for sample rate and bit depth in your Windows control panel and also in the ASIO setup match what your session is set to.

If your ProTools settings don't match it mis reports the problem. It's a very very simple fix.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

i7 5820k 6 x 4GHz (12 threads), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, BM Mini Monitor PCIe, GTX 660Ti 2GB;

Dell Laptop, i7 4x3.6GHz (8 threads ), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, GTX1060MaxQ 6GB;

"Plan B" - i7 6700k, 4 x 3.4GHz, 16GB DDR4, Sierra, AJA Kona LHi, GTX 1050Ti 4GB.

RME FireFace802 + ARC, RME Babyface

Avid D-Command, Artist Control, V-Control, Korg MicroKontrol

7.1.2 Presonus Monitors
Old 08-19-2013, 02:36 AM

Hi 8dB.co.uk, when you say windows control panel, do you mean the GUI for the audio interface I am using? Or is the a specific windows setting that needs to be changed? Sorry if this is a daft question...

I have tried this changing the sample rate and bit depth in the GUI for my M-audio interfaces (in fact all three and they all come up with that same problem):

Following advise on the forums I opened the audio interface GUI and changed the sample rate accordingly, from 48 to 44.1 KHz.

Then when I open the same track I then get an error "playback engine is not compatible with sample rate 48KHz". So I then changed it 48KHz.

Opened the same track and got an error saying ""playback engine is not compatible with sample rate 44.1KHz".

So, it has a problem with 44.1 and 48KHz. I am using the same interface as I recorded the session.

strange!?!

Old 08-19-2013, 01:58 PM

Hello pjthorpe.

Win 7 can have a tendency to hi-jack your audio interface driver/playback engine. I never had the problem until PT 11. Everything works fine in PT 10 in regards to having access to all sample rates supported by my 003R.

There are 2 ways to make this right that I am aware of. One way in Win 7 is to open up the playback device window (right click on the little speaker down in the right hand corner of your desktop), and select a different default playback device.

The other is to disable the Avid or Digi playback device presuming you have another playback device available to default to. In Win 7 it may be a Realtek device.

If you decide to disable the selected Avid/Digi playback device be sure to right click on the device you will disable and check off the "show the disabled device" should you want to enable it at any time. It's easier to get to than going into "manage devices" etc.

As I don't like to disable anything that doesn't need to be disabled, I chose to select another default playback device. I selected the onboard Realtek playback device. I now have access to all 4 sample rates (44.1, 48, 88.2 and 96 KHz), in PT 11 that is supported by my 003 Rack.

Remember that most if not all pro applications usually allow you to choose your playback engine (regardless of the selected Win7 default). Pro Tools allows you to do this by selecting Setup in the menu and then Playback Engine as you already know.

As long as you have one of the 3 devices listed in your signature, you should have access to all your supported sample rates at this point. When you open a Pro Tools session, Pro Tools will be using the selected playback device engine (M-Audio in your case), and not the default device you selected in the Win 7 playback window. You should be good to go.

Lou
Avid Pro Tools Carbon, Eleven Rack (ERXP 2.0.1), Neve Shelford Channel, SSL Fusion Analog processor, Avid S1 Control Surface, Yamaha Montage 7 (also used as a MIDI controller), Korg Prologue 16 and Adam A7X Monitors.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.6, Logic Pro, VEP 7, Exponential Audio. Eventide, FabFilter. iZotope, McDSP, MDW, Softube, Sonnox, Soundtoys, Waves.

Last edited by luken26; 08-19-2013 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Grammer