Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 06-28-2001, 12:35 AM

Default Opinions re: Dual "Startup Disks" or "Extension Sets"?

Hi all,

What methods are you using to manage the Mac's role between a dedicated DAW, and the Internet and other such luxuries?

Do you have a single Startup Disk/System Folder (and wait until the computer has fully booted up, then open the Extensions Manager and restart with your required set of extensions)?

Or, do you have a dedicated hard drive partition containing another System Folder (with minimum Digi extensions) and Pro Tools?

I've been using the first method but it seems a pain to wait until the wrong extensions for the task have loaded before I can restart with the correct set.

A multiple startup disk scenario, where you can hold down [alt/option] on the initial boot and select the ProTools/System drive you wish to load up seems to be a better, almost cleaner method.

What are you all doing? Any special tricks or things to watch out for?

Cheers,

Phil [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 06-28-2001, 02:16 AM

Default Re: Opinions re: Dual "Startup Disks" or "Extension Sets"?

You don't have to wait for the computer to finish starting up. If you boot while holding down the space bar, Extensions Manager will appear before any extesions load. Then you just select which set you wish to use and press "continue."

Liam
"If there's a short cut, then I'll know about it..."
Old 06-28-2001, 08:28 PM

Default Re: Opinions re: Dual "Startup Disks" or "Extension Sets"?

Great! That's one shortcut I hadn't seen mentioned anywhere (or I'd forgotten it!)

It's probably the simplest method (compared to dual start-up disks).

Thanks again!

Phil