Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2015, 09:56 AM

Default Recording MIDI cymbal chokes

Having recently put my new setup together (see system spec for details) I am starting to record the MIDI drum track for my first song, but notice that the cymbal chokes that I recorded (and could hear on the monitor mix during recording) do not sound choked on playback, i.e. the full cymbal decay can be heard instead. I'm using Roland V-Drums with a Roland TD-8 drum module and I'm using this as both the trigger to MIDI interface and for playback of the drum sounds. I guess this may have something to do with the MIDI setup in Pro Tools (input filter?) but otherwise I'm a bit stuck. I can't work out from the TD-8 manual, which MIDI parameter (controller?) relates to cymbal choking and how to make Pro Tools record this data. Can any of you clever people please help me out?

PS I know I could get round this problem by editing the MIDI data and replacing the un-choked crash sounds with choked ones, but being a 'real' drummer, I want to get this correct at source.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:07 AM

Default Re: Recording MIDI cymbal chokes

i had this issue once...and if i remember i "solved" it by deleting the aftertouch from midi editor...For some reason it recorded totally wrong data
Old 11-20-2015, 08:13 PM

I have the same problem...and the data is "polyphonic aftertouch".
It sounds right during recording, but at playback nothing happens.

In the midi event list, I made sure the polyphonic aftertouch is not filtered, but it still won't play the chokes.

The polyphonic aftertouch data in the midi event list, shows it to be 000 ...and if I change those values manually to 127 it will choke...but will also choke all the other un-choked notes it is supposed to leave alone...

Bottomline...a useless mess

iMac27 i9 3.6 (late 2019) / 64 GB Ram / OS 10.15.7
Apollo 8 / PT Ultimate 2020.9.1
Old 11-21-2015, 04:30 AM

Have any of you tried posting ab out this over on the Vdrums.com forum? Might want to give that a try. Primarily a Roland forum.

http://www.vdrums.com/

QAPLA!