Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 06-08-2015, 10:12 PM

Default New playlists won't let me name efficiently

Hi,

When I watch videos of other people using playlists, they get a popup upon creating a new playlist that prompts the title of the new playlist (and matches all tracks with track name, for example, kick.c)

I'm running PT 10.0 and I can't do this! When I hit new, the playlist is automatically created with a number (.02) afterwards. Naming a track "kick.c" will only change the name of that track in the playlist, it won't cascade like I see everyone else's doing.

What gives?
Old 06-09-2015, 03:49 AM

Default Re: New playlists won't let me name efficiently

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorchedwave View Post
Hi,

When I watch videos of other people using playlists, they get a popup upon creating a new playlist that prompts the title of the new playlist (and matches all tracks with track name, for example, kick.c)

I'm running PT 10.0 and I can't do this! When I hit new, the playlist is automatically created with a number (.02) afterwards. Naming a track "kick.c" will only change the name of that track in the playlist, it won't cascade like I see everyone else's doing.

What gives?

I've never known Pro Tools to automatically increment playlist names that are appended alphabetically - it only does it numerically.

For example, if you have a track named Kick, and you add a new playlist, the new playlist will be automatically named Kick.01.

Add another playlist, and it will be automatically named Kick.02.

The problem with this is that it put the playlist names numerically out of sync, with the actual playlist numbers, which can be particularly confusing if you are trying to switch to a group of different takes etc.

It looks like this :

Kick (playlist 01)

Kick.01 (playlist 02)

Kick.02 (playlist 03)

The trick is to name your original playlist, appended numerically.

I tend to include "Tk" as an abbreviation of "Take" :

Kick Tk.01 (playlist 01)

Kick Tk.02 (playlist 02)

Kick Tk.03 (playlist 03)
Old 06-09-2015, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Kolchak View Post
I've never known Pro Tools to automatically increment playlist names that are appended alphabetically - it only does it numerically.

For example, if you have a track named Kick, and you add a new playlist, the new playlist will be automatically named Kick.01.

Add another playlist, and it will be automatically named Kick.02.

The problem with this is that it put the playlist names numerically out of sync, with the actual playlist numbers, which can be particularly confusing if you are trying to switch to a group of different takes etc.

It looks like this :

Kick (playlist 01)

Kick.01 (playlist 02)

Kick.02 (playlist 03)

The trick is to name your original playlist, appended numerically.

I tend to include "Tk" as an abbreviation of "Take" :

Kick Tk.01 (playlist 01)

Kick Tk.02 (playlist 02)

Kick Tk.03 (playlist 03)
es, I do know that PT does what you mentioned above. Watch this video to see what I'm talking about: The user clicks "new playlist", a popup appears to enter the name of the playlist, and the name change he makes to one track changes ALL of the tracks.

Yes, I've tried doing this while in a group, and while selecting a series of track using the shift key when selecting to affect them all.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorchedwave View Post
es, I do know that PT does what you mentioned above. Watch this video to see what I'm talking about: The user clicks "new playlist", a popup appears to enter the name of the playlist, and the name change he makes to one track changes ALL of the tracks.

Yes, I've tried doing this while in a group, and while selecting a series of track using the shift key when selecting to affect them all.

What video?
Old 06-10-2015, 11:15 AM

I hedge my bets on this as sometimes(as with grouped tracks) creating a new playlist bypasses naming. My sessions, session templates and track templates are all track-named with .01 on each track(as in "kick.01", "Bass.01", "BGV1.01", etc.). Doing this makes it easy for me to see what take any playlist is because each subsequent playlist will be the next higher number("Kick.02", "Kick.03", etc)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave