Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2021, 04:00 AM

Default Tempo map to strict tempo

I have a recording that wasn’t tracked to a click. If I tempo map it how do I then have it converted to a flat strict tempo?
Old 09-10-2021, 08:26 AM

Default Re: Tempo map to strict tempo

Not sure you can do it inside PT. Some versions of Melodyne can do this in standalone mode(you open the audio file in Melodyne>let it analyze the selection and then you can force it to a constant tempo). This process is done outside of your DAW(and not all versions of Melodyne include this option. Its not exactly easy to figure out, so watch some tutorials on how to do that if you decide to download the demo. I have used it myself(I own the "Studio" version of Melodyne) and it does work, but the audio file will determine how well, according to the song. For example, if the song has a stop anywhere, that can confuse Melodyne into changing the length of the stop(solution is to select audio on each side of the stop and set the tempo, then go back to the stop and adjust manually to fit).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-10-2021, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiplex View Post
I have a recording that wasn’t tracked to a click. If I tempo map it how do I then have it converted to a flat strict tempo?
Trying to conform a rubato performance to a non-varying click isn't trivial. Best bet within Pro Tools would be Elastic Audio. Depending on number of tracks, complexity of audio/performance, etc this may be easy, moderately time consuming, or a huge undertaking. If it's a fairly simple performance/track you can let EA analyze in polyphonic mode, set the tempo you want, move the first and last warp markers to ballpark it and then go through and add/quantize warp markers as needed to get a consistent performance. Once it's where you want it, set the EA algo to X-Form and render it so the fidelity is better. Results will vary depending on exactly what it is you're working with.

Like @albee1952 says, Melodyne *may* also be helpful, again depending on specifics.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 09-10-2021, 09:22 AM

I am hoping the OP is only working with a single audio file as doing a multi-track would be........ As Rich said, EA can work(if its a multi-track, enable the ALL group first). If I were to use EA for this, I would probably cut the song up into manageable chunks. Use Tab to Transient to locate the downbeat of sections like verses and choruses and cut at those points. Once you have each section evened out, you can move them back together

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-10-2021, 01:45 PM

This may give you some ideas.
https://youtu.be/uUjuN4lWJ_U
Old 09-10-2021, 03:18 PM

“Not sure you can do this in PT” ��FFS

It’s not that hard, you just need patience. In essence : make a *decent* tempo map (that’s the bit that requires patience), switch everything into elastic / “tick-based”, reduce the analysis markers to 0%, then turn the conductor off and choose your tempo. Et viola et voici.

Last edited by midnightrambler; 09-10-2021 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 09-10-2021, 03:59 PM

It can be done as described with Elastic Audio if you're ok with some loss of quality. I would use Beat Detective to slice up the drums though, use "tick-based" and then when you remove the tempo map and replace it with one tempo, the drums will move accordingly. Then use Fill & Crossfade. EA kills drums IMHO.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 09-10-2021, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
“Not sure you can do this in PT” ��FFS

It’s not that hard, you just need patience. In essence : make a *decent* tempo map (that’s the bit that requires patience), switch everything into elastic / “tick-based”, reduce the analysis markers to 0%, then turn the conductor off and choose your tempo. Et viola et voici.
I second this.