Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 04-27-2022, 11:15 AM

Default No audio output

I just bought pro tools 12 first time user... System windows 10 pro 16 gb ram... I bought personus interface.... And when I load pro tools I hear no sound when.asio driver is playback engine when trying to play instruments.I been at it for more than a week... Can anybody help? Thanks... I haven't hooked up personus yet.
Old 04-27-2022, 12:44 PM

Default Re: No output through built-in speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDragon View Post
I just bought pro tools 12 first time user... System windows 10 pro 16 gb ram... I bought personus interface.... And when I load pro tools I hear no sound when.asio driver is playback engine when trying to play instruments.I been at it for more than a week... Can anybody help? Thanks... I haven't hooked up personus yet.
Hi, welcome to DUC.

Either your question is already answered above (just don't use the built in audio) or it's about instruments, if the later please next time don't spam stuff onto the end of unrelated threads. Instead create your own new thread for your problem.

You have not connected the Presonus interface ??? or you have not "hooked up Presonus" meaning contacted their support for help??? If the earlier: did you read this thread before posting? Install the latest compatible ASIO drivers from Presonus, connect the thing and get going. Read the interface instructions if you are new to all this. What *exact* model interface?

Or are you are just having problems getting virtual instruments to work??? Or something else? That's likely a whole separate issue.

Test one thing at a time. Make sure the Presonus is the playback engine in Setup>Playback Engine. Create an empty session, drag and drop a known good commercial mp3 or similar audio file onto the mix window. Let it create a new audio track. Can you now play back and hear that track?

Picking on your mention of "instrument":

If you are trying to record a physical instrument like an acoustic or electric guitar or bass or acoustic drums you need to record them to an audio track **not** an instrument track. It's confusing, and a super common beginner mistake.

If you are trying to work with MIDI data to produce sound within Pro Tools, you need to be starting with an instrument track and inserting a virtual instrument (VI) plugin on that track. Ideally start playing with the Mini Grand VI because it's a dead simple VI plugin.

In either cases you should find a recent Pro Tools tutorial video on YouTube or similar that is as close as possible to what you want to do and follow that Tutorial through.

If you are still stuck please create your own new thread in the most relevant forum section, describe your setup (see "help us help you") up the top of every DUC web page, and describe exactly what you are doing/what tutorial or instructions you are following if any etc. And you can copy and past this post and reply to it there.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 04-27-2022 at 04:05 PM.
Old 04-28-2022, 04:49 PM

Thank you. I apologize for errors... I need to make new thread.
Old 05-06-2022, 04:41 PM

hello all, im here because i dont know why i dont see new thread button. pro tools has been a nightmare for me. i need to post the problems im having, how can i message adminstrator, sorry for drama... but im very fustrated.
Old 05-06-2022, 05:13 PM

Go here https://duc.avid.com/index.php

Select the most appropriate sub forum that is a fit for you problems. Click on the links to look at each sub forum.

Once in the appropriate sub forum click on the [New Thread] button at the top of the post listings.

Create only one new thread/don't post the same issue in multiple sub forums.
Old 05-06-2022, 05:29 PM

Thank you bro...
Old 05-06-2022, 08:51 PM

Default No sound coming from piano roll

Hi . I recently got pt my system is asio4all driver... 16gb ram windows 10 pro... This has been a nightmare for me. I can't get my plug ins to produce sound. I use piano roll and nothing comes out. I use the metronome and I hear it... Does anyone know how to solve this? I checked playback engine and preference too. I been not getting right answers from you tube either. Can anyone help? Thanks..
Old 05-06-2022, 09:42 PM

Default Re: No audio output

Looks like a moderator pixie has been moving stuff into one thread.

You are trying to work out how to use virtual instrument plugin (VI). The way to do that is to start very simple, and find an online tutorial using a version of Pro Tools similar to what you have. YouTube has is a good place to look. Follow some tutorial(s) through until you learn how to do stuff.

"piano roll"... unclear what you are doing. You need to have a VI plugin inserted on an instrument track. It has to be an instrument track not a MIDI track (at least to get started).

Start simply, especially by using the Mini Grand VI (look for tutorials that use this VI) included with Pro Tools. It's the de facto simple VI to learn/test stuff with.

Common mistakes are not using an instrument track, not record arming that track, and not having "MIDI Thru" enabled. You can test Mini Grand makes sound by clicking on the piano keys in the plugin UI... does that create sound? Do you see the track and master fader meters move?

You are unlikely to make make progress just trying to randomly guess how stuff works in Pro Tools or any sophisticated DAW, you need to find tutorials or a course. Folks on DUC can answer specific technical questions/help with problems but this is not a place which gives basic instruction/tutorials when so many better places to get that. If you get stuck describe what tutotal you are following (give a web link) and what you are doing and exactly what does not work as you expect.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 05-06-2022 at 10:45 PM.
Old 05-06-2022, 10:08 PM

Pixie yourself.
.. I started new thread and it came here.
You are in error kinda about the info you say. But thanks anyway Disney.
Old 05-06-2022, 10:29 PM

Thanks man...