Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 12-21-2021, 06:07 PM

Default Mbox 2 Pro and Pro Tools 9 installation

I bought a Mbox2 pro and a used PT9 License for my daughters to use and learn recording. I have no idea how you turn on this little puppy. Where's the on and off power button ?.

I've plugged it in to my Mac pro VIA firewire and power chord. and all I see is blinking yellow.

I tested it and unplugged my 003 console and used my firewire cable, although I did not install the drivers because I didn't want to install the Mbox on my existing setup.

I'm embarrassed asking and thought there would be a power button in the back, and the Mbox manual stated so, but that was a different model I guess.

Also with no power on at all it's blinking yellow even when the computer is off >? THANK YOU AND MERRY XMAS

Old 12-21-2021, 06:10 PM

Default Re: Fell Embrassed (Mbox2)

As I recall, you do need to install the driver to get everything to light up correctly.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 12-21-2021, 06:32 PM

And now you are into do you have a driver for this old interface that is compatible with your operating system?

Maybe you have that all sorted out. But if not I would forget this old stuff, the Focusrite 2i2 is the canonical beginners interface, and at least on current computers, you are likely much better off starting there than with old Avid/Digidesign interfaces.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-21-2021 at 07:01 PM.
Old 12-21-2021, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basslik View Post
I bought a Mbox2 pro and a used PT9 License for my daughters to use and learn recording. I have no idea how you turn on this little puppy. Where's the on and off power button ?.

I've plugged it in to my Mac pro VIA firewire and power chord. and all I see is blinking yellow.

I tested it and unplugged my 003 console and used my firewire cable, although I did not install the drivers because I didn't want to install the Mbox on my existing setup.

I'm embarrassed asking and thought there would be a power button in the back, and the Mbox manual stated so, but that was a different model I guess.

Also with no power on at all it's blinking yellow even when the computer is off >? THANK YOU AND MERRY XMAS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
And now you are into do you have a driver for this old interface that is compatible with your operating system?

Maybe you have that all sorted out. But if not I would forget this old stuff, the Focusrite 2i2 is the canonical beginners interface, and at least on current computers, you are likely much better off starting there than with old Avid/Digidesign interfaces.

I have gotten her basically the same setup I have. Mac Pro 2010 / Mbox2 pro, OS Mt. Lion & El Capitan running PT 9

I figured to get her something that I already know well and can help her over the phone along the way.

I'm just stumped there is no power switch and the unit blinks yellow even when the computer is off (strange). I did look up the manual and doesn't say much about powering on and powering down.

I will be able to retrieve the driver from my Avid account I'm sure.

Old 12-21-2021, 09:45 PM

1. There is no power button on an MBox 2 Pro.

2. You shouldn’t be using the ext. power supply if you’re plugged into your MP’s FW port. That will provide the power required for the interface. The ext. power supply is only required for 4 pin FW connections.

3. How do you plan on testing anything if you don’t install the drivers?

4. The blinking light is more than likely related to the power supply issue I pointed out above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-21-2021, 11:36 PM

I have my old mac pro 3,1 sitting in a corner, connected to the mains, and a Apogee Duet connected via firewire, and its LED is blinking. Always did.
Old 12-23-2021, 01:14 PM

Default Re: Mbox 2 Pro and Pro Tools 9 installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
1. There is no power button on an MBox 2 Pro.

2. You shouldn’t be using the ext. power supply if you’re plugged into your MP’s FW port. That will provide the power required for the interface. The ext. power supply is only required for 4 pin FW connections.

3. How do you plan on testing anything if you don’t install the drivers?

4. The blinking light is more than likely related to the power supply issue I pointed out above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
I have my old mac pro 3,1 sitting in a corner, connected to the mains, and a Apogee Duet connected via firewire, and its LED is blinking. Always did.
Thank you folks very much. You folks are awesome.

Sardi I guess I should have known that too. The interface is a Xmas present and couldn't hook it up until tomorrow and I figured since I bought the Mbox I eBay I wanted to make sure it powered on at least before I wrapped it for Xmas.

I went ahead and bought her a PT10 license version as well since that is what I used too, and I really like the responsiveness better than my 2021.3 setup.