Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2014, 06:19 PM

Default Fast Track Ultra won't startup

Hi,

I have a Fast Track Ultra, the one with the F on the SN. I have a problem when i power on the device. Just the power led lights up, and i never see the input leds blink once as usual. If i leave it alone for a couple of days it starts working again. But a few days ago when i powered it on, the power led and midi out led stayed on and nothing happened, i think if i leave it alone for a week or so it would start working again.

I found also that workaround, about fast powering on and off for a couple of times, but now that doesn't work anymore i have to leave it be for a couple of days/weeks.

My question is, does anyone know how to speed up this process? i think this happens because maybe a capacitor or something like that gets charged and the device malfunctions, and after a few days it gets discharged like a battery and starts working again. So, anyone knows what is specifically wrong with it? i read somewhere of a design error (Avid support) but never found the error in particular.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:24 AM

Default Re: Fast Track Ultra won't startup

I haven't heard of any recalls with those or any mass problems that would need a recall. It does sound like there is likely a hardware problem with the FTU though. Can you test it on another computer and see if it behaves the same?

Can you post your full system specs:
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=336556
and did you do any hardware/software changes around the time it started acting up?

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 02-17-2014, 05:59 PM

Hi, thanks for the replay, it won't startup on windows or Mac, desktop or laptop, not even if it's connected only to the power supply. Also not powering up if used with usb power.

I think it started to act up after i forgot to turn it off before powering off my computer one time, thats when i first had the problem.

After a while of searching around i found that there were some issues with the FTU that had an F on the SN, and that m-audio solved it on newer models (something related to power supply or something like that). So my question is if anyone ever knew what was this design problem, just to see if i can get around waiting a couple of weeks for it to start working again.

And to add more info, i get disconnections when recording or playing. then sometimes all that is needed is to poweroff/on again and i'm ready to go, others i get this problem that i have to wait weeks to get solved.

Last edited by fedehrv; 02-18-2014 at 06:14 AM.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:57 AM

Since it is not working on multiple computers with different USB cables, that pretty much narrows it down to a hardware problem with the FTU. If it is under warranty, I'd arrange a repair. http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/faq/en210711 If it isn't, you could also send it in for repair, but you might be better off looking for a replacement, or you could try opening it up and seeing if there are any fired components or bulging capacitors that could be replaced.

Joel

Home:

Rig:
Old 02-18-2014, 06:07 PM

I've found a quote on that avid article i mentioned before, but the link no longer works

Link

We have identified an issue affecting a small percentage of Fast Track Ultra’s which causes the device to intermittently lose connection with the computer. A fix has been implemented and new units are not susceptible to this malfunction. Since the symptoms of this issue are identical to common system configuration issues, first check the serial number to determine if your unit is even susceptible to this malfunction. The serial number is located on a sticker (that has 2 bar codes) on the bottom of the device and is preceeded with "SN:". Locate the 6th digit of the serial number to determine if your unit could possibly be affected.

If the 6th digit is the number "9" (nine) you have the latest version that is not susceptible to this hardware malfunction. If your Fast Track Ultra is not recognized or loses connection with the system, please see these troubleshooting guides to resolve your issue:
USB Audio Series - Installation Troubleshooting Guide

IRQ Troubleshooting (Windows)

If the 6th digital is the letter "F", there is a chance your device may be affected by this malfunction. Since the symptoms of this issue are identical to common system configuration issues; below are some troubleshooting steps you can try to eliminate any irregularities you may be experiencing. If you continue to experience this loss of connection or require assistance in determining the cause, please contact M-Audio Tech Support.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:11 AM

Ok, good work. And your device has the 6th digital is letter "F"? I can forward this on and see what the deal is with that repair.

Joel

Home:

Rig:
Old 02-19-2014, 06:13 AM

Add: Here's the link for repairs:http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/faq/en210711

Joel

Home:

Rig:
Old 02-21-2014, 02:27 PM

Thanks, unfortunately i don't have a local repair center in my country, and sending it abroad it´s too expensive, I'm better off buying a new one.
But if there is a way to workaround this issue without having to wait 2 weeks for it to start working again will be better for now until i search for a replacement device.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:08 PM

Well, after a couple of weeks leaving it be, it started to work again. Like nothing happened. It's really annoying.