Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2010, 04:46 AM

Default Import/Export Midi

I am VERY new to Pro Tools or any production software for that matter. What I know I have basically taught myself. I am having what I assume is an operator error.
I have created some single bar drum tracks (regions) that I could use in many different sessions.
I highlighted them one at a time in the regions list and did File>Export>Midi and saved them to a folder on my FW800 drive.
I opened a new session and did File>Import>Midi. I also used the Workspace and drug them in that way. Each time I did this I didn't get the region I wanted plus it had no sound during playback.
For example if I grabbed a region called Kick-4Beat (which I named in the previous session) what populated in my new regions list was Hats-01, Snare-01, and Kick-01. I only graabed one file off the drive and it gave me 3 which went to three different tracks. Not only that, if I do playback on them, the meter moves but there is no sound. WHAT am I doing wrong?

Also, if anyone has time, I'd like to know how to take two or more tracks in one session and mix them to a single track in the same session.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help a newbie.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:13 AM

Default Re: Import/Export Midi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilkers View Post
Not only that, if I do playback on them, the meter moves but there is no sound. WHAT am I doing wrong?
Midi itself doesn't sound. The meters move to show there is a midi signal present. In order to hear it you need to route these tracks to a virtual instrument (like Xpand) or to an external sound source.

Quote:
Also, if anyone has time, I'd like to know how to take two or more tracks in one session and mix them to a single track in the same session.
Just route the output of the two tracks to a bus, create a new audio track, set the input to the bus you chose before, record enable the audio track an record it.

But this is quite basic stuff. It might help to read through the Pro Tools Reference guide and/or watch some videos online. Digi TV has some good ones that should get you started...
Old 01-22-2010, 06:54 AM

Thanks!! Anyone with any ideas on the other part as to why I'm not getting what I am grabbing in the workspace?
Old 01-22-2010, 07:55 AM

Quote:
For example if I grabbed a region called Kick-4Beat (which I named in the previous session) what populated in my new regions list was Hats-01, Snare-01, and Kick-01. I only graabed one file off the drive and it gave me 3 which went to three different tracks.
Just a guess: there is two possible midi file formats when exporting: "multitrack" and "single track". Could this be the problem? Did you try both?
Old 01-22-2010, 09:36 AM

No but I will give it a try
Old 01-22-2010, 10:52 AM

Try Muting all regions but the desired region for export.

filosofem