Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2001, 11:11 AM

Default DV\'s and machine control?

What if any DV deck out there supports nine pin control.
Old 10-03-2001, 12:59 AM

Default Re: DV\'s and machine control?

I use a DSR-40 from Sony it has RS-422. I've used it sofar with an Avid Symphony, but not a TDM. I am wondering, having little experience with actually conforming on PT, how it will play out because there is no LTC out. The avid does just fine and their architecture, as far as machine control and sync goes, seem rather similar.
Old 10-04-2001, 11:42 AM

thanks for your reply clubsoda, I'm going to inquire about a DSR1500 today I think they have timecode out, if so I'll rent one and give it a go with a pro tools set-up.
Old 10-04-2001, 11:47 AM

PS has anybody used a DSR 1500 or 1600, do they set-up and work the same as a betacam SP(in conjunction with pro tools ofcourse)?
Old 10-06-2001, 09:17 AM

if you are using the deck for picture reference ....use the doremi v1 RANDOM ACCESS mpeg deck ...not an add . i use one and i LOVE it [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] if you are using it for lay back, digital beta sony A500..not cheap but a good deck
Old 10-07-2001, 12:44 AM

Ya I'd love to get the V1, but this is for a client of mine and there pretty hooked on tape. I'm having a meeting with them on monday and I'm going to present all the pros and cons of each deck. Lets hope the V1 wins out!
Old 10-07-2001, 03:30 PM

I am using a DSR-1500 with all the optional boards (component analog, digital i/o, and IEEE-1394) installed.

It does have TC in and out (on BNC connectors) as well as a built in generator. With the digital i/o board you also have AES audio in and out for all 4 DV channels - but again these are also on BNC connectors so you may require an impedence matching device like Canare makes.

Thus far, it works wonderfully with most 9 pin controllers, ProTools included. You can slow down the transport shuttle functions so its ballistics more closely match a BetaSP deck.

There is one issue I am as we speak looking into, which is that while laying back to the deck (insert edit mode) via the AES input, we were experiencing a delay of 3 fields on the audio. This is not the case with the analog input. This occurred with a different DAW system, so I'll be retesting the machine on monday with Protools.
Old 10-09-2001, 12:20 AM

Thanks for your reply AMG I'm looking at a brochure for the 1500 right now and it has a BNC style connector, time code in and out in the lower left of the back panel, is this a VITC or LTC in and out. Also it says it has a black burst generator, but I would still need to have my house sync running to the ref video in correct?
Old 10-09-2001, 10:29 PM

Dean,

I can now report that the 1500 does not exhibit the 3 field audio delay that I had described in my previous post. Clearly, this problem was a flaw in the other DAW that I was using.

The timecode connectors you are seeing are LTC.

The unit does support VITC, but it is not exactly what you think. DV, by definition, does not capture and retain the vertical interval lines. The 1500 can read these lines on its inputs, be it analog or SDI video ins, and can sync its internal timecode generator this timing signal. But the actual VITC does not get recorded on any lines of the digitial video. It instead can be routed to the DV time that is recorded in the subcode area. By the same token, it can output VITC, but basically it is generating the vertical interval lines with the embedded timecode on the output much like its superimpose output generates a timecode burn in.

The signal generator in the deck could be used as a house sync if one desired. But locking the deck to house sync is rather peculiar. Ours is being fed house sync. But most times when we attempt to insert edit video from a Beta deck also locked to house sync, we get an illegal reference alarm. You can internally switch the deck to lock to the incoming video signal rather than the reference video in and the deck seems much happier. Somewhat counterintuitive. So the answer to your second question is a qualified yes and no!

Overall, I am happy with the deck. Some minor things bug me - like the pedistal and chroma levels for the SDI and analog outputs aren't matched - but overall the experience has been good. Oh, one other important note for audio folks... this deck is quite noisy. It has quite a fan on it to keep its compact case cool.

-- Alberto Garcia
Old 10-11-2001, 12:43 AM

I just used a DSR-1800 the other day and it rocks, HUGE upgrade over the 40. But funny thing, perhaps you all ca tell me if this is normal, the AES/EBU in and out were BNC connectors. Is this common? I've only seen decks w/XLR connectors. I kinda winged it and went BNC to RCA to XLR and didn't notice any quality loss but it is a digital signal, so....Hmmm. I loved the deck though.