Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 12-08-2015, 07:39 AM

Default Microsoft Windows 10 thuggery

Just for the record, Win 10 doesn't seem too bad on my office computer at home. I don't hate it. But I do NOT want it on my studio rig.

I got the win 10 icon and was annoyed, but managed to ignore it. However when I went to do my windows updates and Win 10 began installing on it's own I was furious. I managed to stop it, then installed this GWX Control Panel:http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

Worked like a charm. No more Windows 10.

But now I read this article: http://www.computerworld.com/article...-strategy.html

Microsoft is apparently going to keep pushing Win10 until it installs on your machine no matter if you want it or not, and no matter how much you try to prevent it. I get the impression it's going to turn into a cat and mouse issue and it pisses me off. I do have my updates set to manual, but I don't think I should have to play games to keep an operating system off my machine.

I'm kind of surprised that there doesn't seem to be much of an uproar in the PT community about it, since it doesn't seem to be a supported OS at this time.

Is Win10 just no big deal for other users or what? Just let it happen? I'm pretty happy with 7, my machine is stable and I don't want to change it. How are you folks dealing with it??

Old 12-08-2015, 07:47 AM

Default Re: Microsoft Windows 10 thuggery

I'm running 10 here without issue, but I still suggest that others wait for Avid to announce support for it.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 12-08-2015, 07:51 AM

I used the same utility, because even disabling and hiding the Win10 update did nothing to prevent it from being downloaded. Not happy with MS right now.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:06 AM

Never seen that here. Hmmm. I also have a drive loaded with Win10 and it seems to be working fine, but I am also doing 90% of my work on Win7

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-09-2015, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graveleye View Post
I got the win 10 icon and was annoyed, but managed to ignore it. However when I went to do my windows updates and Win 10 began installing on it's own I was furious.
Personally, Micro soft's Windows 10 bombardment should be likened to Apples invasion of U2, it's a step too far. A simple check box 'No Thanks' should suffice.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
Personally, Micro soft's Windows 10 bombardment should be likened to Apples invasion of U2, it's a step too far. A simple check box 'No Thanks' should suffice.
Not even comparable!!!! Putting the drivel from U2 on my phone and ipod was WAY to much for me to deal with!!

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 12-10-2015, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
Not even comparable!!!! Putting the drivel from U2 on my phone and ipod was WAY to much for me to deal with!!
I can imagine it, Dream Theater blasting on loud speaker, then Songs of Innocence [aptly named] invades the playlist, such scorn! That made me laugh Stevo. Hey, how's your boy doing? He'll be just over 3 now. Doesn't time move fast. The other day, Cole deposited a surprise under the dinning room table whilst his nappy was off, toilet training is such fun.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:49 PM

Quote:
I can imagine it, Dream Theater blasting on loud speaker, then Songs of Innocence [aptly named] invades the playlist, such scorn! That made me laugh Stevo. Hey, how's your boy doing? He'll be just over 3 now. Doesn't time move fast. The other day, Cole deposited a surprise under the dinning room table whilst his nappy was off, toilet training is such fun.
Don't disrupt my Dream Theater!!!!!

Yes he turned 3 a few weeks ago. It's flying by! Haven't started potty training yet... Don't sound fun!!

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10