Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio

Old 05-18-2023, 10:44 PM

Default Dante latency with MTRX

SOLVED
I know I am going to get roasted for admitting this but here goes … After setting up the entire studio again with my colleague after we had massive water damage from a leaky condensation water tank inside the ceiling  , I forgot to check whether the Dante headphone amp was connected via ethernet to the switch on my desk. As it turns out, it was not...
That meant that the signals were taking a crazy route from the mic into the MTRX, then via my desktop switch to my hub, on to our router, then to my colleague's switch, and from there to the headphone amp... no wonder it was dropping packets like mad ☠️. it just didn't occur to me to check if the headphone amp was actually directly connected to my switch. Latency almost zero now and no dropouts.

Greetings Hive Brain
I am running Pro Tools 2022.3 with a MTRX with a Dante Brooklyn II card and getting massive (ca. 5 - 15 sec.) dropouts when tracking and/or playing back with Dante. I have tried different Dante latency settings but problem is always the same. All sample rates are identical across hardware/software. According to Dante Controller (latency tab graphic for my system), the MTRX has a latency of almost 50ms (not Us) and is dropping thousands of pakets each minute. I share the network with my studio colleague who is running an Antelope interface, a couple of Neutrik Dante interfaces, and a Sound Devices field recorder with Dante. Only the MTRX has this delay - I have toggled low-latency monitoring in Pro Tools but also no change. I also have the problem when only my system is running…

NOTE: For unexplained reasons, I am unable to update the Dante Firmware to the latest version (I think my current version is 3.9.1 or similar). I am able to download the latest Dante firmware from the AVID or Audinate site, but it is greyed out when I select it as an update file and attempt to install it from the device list within Dadman.

System info:
OS 13.3.1 Ventura
Avid MTRX running firmware version:0.3.1.1
HDX card in Avid-approved Sonnet III chassis
HDX card
Pro Tools 2023.3
Eucon version 2023.3 (all permissions given in System Preferences/accessibility)
Dadman version: 5.6.7.1

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited by PT_NOOB_CH; 05-22-2023 at 01:12 AM.
Old 05-18-2023, 11:19 PM

Default Re: Dante latency with MTRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT_NOOB_CH View Post
Avid MTRX running firmware version:0.3.1.1
What the heck is this?
MTRX version is currently 2.3.6.1
MTRX Studio version is currently 1.1.1.5

This is for the unit (not the Dante module). If you are really on a version such as this, then that's probably the reason you can't do a Dante update. Might want to fix the firmware on your main MTRX unit first.
Old 05-19-2023, 08:13 AM

Sorry for the confusion - according to the information in Dante Controller, my system is as follows:

Manufacturer Information:
MTRX (Penta 72x) software version: 0.3.1.1

Dante Information:
Dante Model: Brooklyn II
Dante Firmware version: 3.9.6.1
Hardware version: 4.0.0.19
ROM/Boot version: 1.3.6.1
Old 05-19-2023, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Sorry for the confusion - according to the information in Dante Controller, my system is as follows:

Manufacturer Information:
MTRX (Penta 72x) software version: 0.3.1.1

Dante Information:
Dante Model: Brooklyn II
Dante Firmware version: 3.9.6.1
Hardware version: 4.0.0.19
ROM/Boot version: 1.3.6.1
where exactly do you look for those version numbers?

Please do this:

Open DADman
File -> Device List ...
Click on your MTRX unit
Check MAIN BOARD , which firmware version?

If cpufw is not 2.3.6.1 -> go to my.avid.com. -> view my products -> MTRX , download FW 2.3.6.1

Right click your MTRX unit in Device List in DADMAN , click 'Firmware update...' , click 'Find File' and select the file you downloaded from your my.avid.com

Everything Dante YOU CAN NOT update through DADman

please update MTRX FW first if not latest

Then open Dante Controller, click the Dante Updater symbol (third one from the right) , let Dante Updater find firmware updates for your Penta 72x Dante card and update Dante card from there.
Old 05-21-2023, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Greetings Hive Brain
I am running Pro Tools 2022.3 with a MTRX with a Dante Brooklyn II card and getting massive (ca. 5 - 15 sec.) dropouts when tracking and/or playing back with Dante. I have tried different Dante latency settings but problem is always the same. All sample rates are identical across hardware/software. According to Dante Controller (latency tab graphic for my system), the MTRX has a latency of almost 50ms (not Us) and is dropping thousands of pakets each minute. I share the network with my studio colleague who is running an Antelope interface, a couple of Neutrik Dante interfaces, and a Sound Devices field recorder with Dante. Only the MTRX has this delay - I have toggled low-latency monitoring in Pro Tools but also no change. I also have the problem when only my system is running…
Dante latency in that magnitude is usually an indication that the device (in this case the MTRX) is not sync'ed to the other devices in the Dante network.

There can be a number of reasons for this, but the most common one is that
one of the other Dante devices is set as "Clock leader" in the Dante network and the MTRX is set to Internal clock.

On a sidenote, I strongly recommend that anybody venturing into the Dante world starts by taking the free online Dante Level 1 and Level 2 certifications available on the Audinate website.
Old 05-22-2023, 02:29 PM

What Jan says.

In DADman: bottom column, second tab 'Dante' , Sample Rate: follow, Latency: 250us , Preferred master: YES

In Dante Controller: 3rd tab 'Clock Status' , check the box "Preferred Leader" for MTRX
Old 05-22-2023, 05:16 PM

Quote:
SOLVED
I know I am going to get roasted for admitting this but here goes … After setting up the entire studio again with my colleague after we had massive water damage from a leaky condensation water tank inside the ceiling  , I forgot to check whether the Dante headphone amp was connected via ethernet to the switch on my desk. As it turns out, it was not...
That meant that the signals were taking a crazy route from the mic into the MTRX, then via my desktop switch to my hub, on to our router, then to my colleague's switch, and from there to the headphone amp... no wonder it was dropping packets like mad ☠️. it just didn't occur to me to check if the headphone amp was actually directly connected to my switch. Latency almost zero now and no dropouts!
Oops! Routing (and plug-ins) are the devil’s workshop!

Last edited by nsureit; 06-07-2023 at 08:54 AM.