Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 04-25-2022, 04:00 AM

Default Re: New DAD interfaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertDorn View Post
Very curious if the Thunderbolt chassis connectors will find its way into an updated MTRX chassis in the future. That would be awesome. Love HDX for the low latency tracking with DSP plug-ins in full mixes. But for every other audio app than Pro Tools , a native Thunderbolt port on the chassis would be awesome.

In a Facebook post in the DAD page I read they have absolutely no plans to discontinue the current cards, since those are the same cards that can be used in the new AX64

I am just so glad that DAD offers DADman control by either ethernet or thunderbolt. It is one of my biggest gripes with Focusrite Line/Pre stuff, which can only be placed as far away as the length of a thunderbolt cable.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 04-25-2022, 07:17 AM
Avid

Just a friendly reminder that there is no need to be concerned about MTRX lifespan at this stage. It is a fantastic box with lots of life ahead of it.

With all of the connections already available to MTRX, would the TB3 even be of interest?

m
Professional Audio Systems

For immediate assistance:
Pro Tools & Eucon Surfaces - +1 888-456-3444
Venue Support - +1 978-275-2557

Find out how to create, manage, and edit cases online now HERE
It's fast, easy, and effective!
Old 04-25-2022, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCorbin View Post

With all of the connections already available to MTRX, would the TB3 even be of interest?

m
Yes for me! I mean, Dante virtual Soundcard is OK for getting in and out everything non-Pro Tools HDX to the MTRX. But it's still 4ms at its lowest setting, and when the clock of the MTRX switches the DVS connection is lost. This TB3 connector only has 2 samples of latency. That's very welcome for working in Logic sessions next to Pro Tools HDX.

Last edited by RobertDorn; 04-25-2022 at 09:48 AM.
Old 04-25-2022, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Just a friendly reminder that there is no need to be concerned about MTRX lifespan at this stage. It is a fantastic box with lots of life ahead of it.

m
Yes. More channels per connection than any other format on a single cable. Chaining hardware so everything is accessible in one DADman. Zero config issues like Dante (which, honestly, Audinate has been a poor steward of)

If the thunderbolt driver is multi client, even better.

I need a second MTRX/AX32 for the mobile system. I’ve been seriously annoyed with firmware locking which has made redundancy and compatibility an issue: 2 pre-MTRX AX32 with digilink fully loaded with cards, 6 full size MTRX with various cards. We’ve had multiple situations where we needed a card from one system put in another. This mobile system will be bridged in when at the home studio. A single cable to tie it back in and give it virtually full access would be a god send.
Old 04-25-2022, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertDorn View Post
In a Facebook post in the DAD page I read they have absolutely no plans to discontinue the current cards, since those are the same cards that can be used in the new AX64
This is good to hear. But my concern is future cards.

For instance, I'd love for DAD to do a ADA card like Merging that allows mic splitting (2 DB-25 on one card where one is mic pres/line in and the other is line out/pass through so you can convert/record directly into the DAW and pass through the lines to a control room patchbay/LFAC with zero latency -- the output DB-25 doesn't touch the converters or routing matrix.) This would be great for scoring stages/concert halls. There will be future Dante capabilities built on future chipsets -- the current top one is already showing its age. Also possible improved filter designs on AD or DA cards.
All of these are potentially dead now.

And, plans are great but "one AKM fire later" and plans can change (See Prism and their virtually non-shipping Prism Dream ADA128 -- another modular system.)

My hope is NTP/DAD will change their mind on this for any card that there isn't a technical reason why it would be inoperable. Myself and the studios I work for have a lot of money tied into the modular AX32/MTRX -- partially because of the implied longevity of the platform. This isn't like the other Avid HD interfaces.
Old 04-25-2022, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
My hope is NTP/DAD will change their mind on this for any card that there isn't a technical reason why it would be inoperable. Myself and the studios I work for have a lot of money tied into the modular AX32/MTRX -- partially because of the implied longevity of the platform. This isn't like the other Avid HD interfaces.
I would have thought a whole lot of this situation transpired at the hands of Avid. They wanted an Avid branded device, and they also wanted their cut when it comes to expansion card sales? So... no more digilink ports on DAD gear, and no DAD cards in Avid gear.

I totally agree with the overall sentiment, though. The division of Avid and DAD branded gear certainly makes the whole kit and kaboodal feel compromised compared to the original digilink equipped DAD offerings.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 04-25-2022, 06:05 PM

Quote:

m
Yes. When working natively HDNative is a useless dongle that limits your IO. And makes it difficult to work with a laptop. As someone else said DVS isn't always optimal.

It really should have been part of MTRX Studio. (which I know I've whined about here before)
Old 04-25-2022, 06:51 PM

^^ exactly. A licensing dongle from decades past.
Old 04-25-2022, 08:35 PM

But we already know how this spirals in true Avid style. The decade old thunderbolt dongle that costs a few hundred bucks on eBay gets replaced with a TB expansion card for the MTRX that costs the price of a used HDX card...
Old 04-26-2022, 05:56 AM

Quote:

m
You have to understand that people may have other DAWS or apps that they may want to use as well, besides PT. Buying a costly interface like the MTRX that only works with digilink as it´s primary connection it´s not great. Of course you can use Dante etc, but having TB is a great option.
For instance, we had to buy a Focusrite Red 4PRE that has TB as well as digilink to interface it with our MTRX, so that we can use other DAWS and apps via TB and then route it to the DADMan/MTRX for a centralized and flexible monitoring of all sources.
So, see it this way, if you integrate a TB port on the MTRX, it means more business on the hardware side for you, as people may even buy it even if they don´t use PT or focus more on other DAW´s, in particular to music production.
The Focusrite RED4 and other models in their range is an example of that. Both digilink and TB ports available.

Why not ask DAD to make you a TB card that fits on one of the option slots on the MTRX? That would make sense to me. Remember, a lot of people use PT without HDX/digilink, so they´re buying interfaces that provide USB-C, USB 2.0 or TB to be able to work.

Paulo M

MAC Studio MAX M1_64 GB RAM_1TB SSD_MAC OS Ventura

Protools Studio 2024.3