Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio

Old 05-01-2023, 09:27 AM

Default Re: MTRX Studio Atmos Dante and Digilink routing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goombot View Post
Right. Yeah the Master 7.1.2 was just messing around. That can be deleted. Also I know that I can bounce out and monitor the rerenders but I was just setting them up to check routing. What I was wondering from the pictures was does my PT output page look correct? I only ask because if I set up that way then I loose those 14 inputs to my renderer. I mean it makes sense but is that the best way to be setting the outputs up? Also, coming back Dante to the DADMan. Like I said, it all works but I wanted to make sure I'm doing everything as efficiently as possible before I button up these template changes. Thank you again for all your input on this.
It’s really hard to tell without looking at your routing page in DADMan and how you’ve setup sources in your Monitoring Profile. DADMan is your routing hub. Everything going in and out of Pro Tools, Renderer, Dante, is all through that and Dante Controller is used to route the Dante between devices.

If you’re running an HDX 2 system then you should have a dedicated 128 Digilink channels that don’t interfere with any Dante.

Your outputs from Pro Tools should only need to be your beds and objects. You can include a monitoring path if you can spare the channels and don’t need all 128 for beds and objects.

For example.
PT Outputs (to Renderer)

7.1.2 DX
7.1.2 MX
7.1.2 FX
(Additional Beds if needed)
Stereo OBJ 1
Stereo OBJ 2
Etc, etc…

5.1 monitor output (to monitor any re-renders recording back into Pro Tools or anything else you want to monitor.

That MASTER 7.1.2 is probably conflicting with any Dante Channels you have going to the Renderer if you have everything routed 1 to 1 in DADMan.

Last edited by its2loud; 05-01-2023 at 09:37 AM.
Old 05-01-2023, 10:45 AM

Ok since we've gone this far, and I really appreciate you looking at this for me, I've taken a bunch more pictures. Basically everything is 1 to 1 from the Dante Controller to the DADMan as you'll see. Hopefully this gives you more info. Again, really appreciate this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MTRX1 Dante to Digilink1.jpg (76.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg MTRX1 Dante to Digilink2.jpg (94.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg MTRX1 Dante to Dante1-32.jpg (97.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg MTRX1 Dante to Dante33-64.jpg (97.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg MTRX1 Digilink1 to Dante.jpg (97.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-01-2023, 10:47 AM

2nd batch of pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MTRX1 Digilink2 to Dante.jpg (98.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg MTRX2 Dante to Digilink1.jpg (95.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg MTRX2 Dante to Digilink2.jpg (90.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg MTRX2 Dante to Dante 65-97.jpg (95.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg MTRX2 Dante to Dante96-128.jpg (97.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-01-2023, 10:47 AM

Final batch. thanks
Old 05-01-2023, 11:28 AM

BTW. I've sent you a PM

This is a lot to go through with blurry screenshots. From just an initial glance at some of the pics it would appear that you are double routing from inputs to output. One in particular is this screen grab. It would appear that you're routing your Dante Inputs to your Dante Outputs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MTRX1 Dante to Dante33-64.jpg (97.2 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by its2loud; 05-01-2023 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-01-2023, 12:30 PM

I sent one back. Not sure if it went through. I haven't done a PM on here before. thanks. c
Old 05-05-2023, 11:03 AM

I've setup a studio with this same equipment, so I'm familiar with what you are trying to do.

There's a basic confusion here that is making it more complicated, so let me try to illustrate the general signal flow and you should be able to work out the details from there.

It's possibly confusing because there is a routing matrix in the MTRX, and then another in the DANTE Controller. So depending on how you crosspatch the connections in the DANTE CONTROLLER, it can change what shows up in the MTRX.

The general signal flow concept is:

PRO TOOLS 128 chs of Beds and Object out Digilink -->
MTRX 1+2 (route Digilink 1-128 to Dante Out 1-128 Outs) -->
(Dante Out of MTRX patched to Dante IN of Focusrite) -->
FOCUSRITE Card is set as INPUT of RENDERER.

FOCUSRITE Card is set to OUTPUT of RENDERER.
FOCUSRITE Dante OUT is patched to MTRX 1 Dante IN
DANTE In on MTRX 1, channels 3-16 are set as a monitor input on the Monitor Profile for monitoring.

If you want to monitor additional outputs of the Pro Tools session, such as Reference Stereo Mix, Reference 5.1 Mix, Headphone feed, etc, then you need to either give up some of your 128 Digilink outputs, or use another audio device (Such as Dante Virtual Soundcard) as an Aux I/O output, and route these outputs to the MTRX for monitoring purposes.

So in Pro Tools your output tab would look something like:

ch 1-128 - Beds and Objects to Renderer (Digilink)
Ch 129-xxx.... 5.1 Monitor Path, Stereo Monitor Path, etc (Dante Virtual Soundcard as AUX I/O output).

You can also route the Re-Renders from the RENDERER back into Pro Tools, but let's leave that as a later discussion after you get the above sorted out.
Old 05-06-2023, 10:22 AM

Thanks for posting. I have gotten it all figured out at this point thanks to user "its2loud". He really broke it down for me just as you have. It was more conceptually understanding all the possibilities for the routing. It's really all pretty fantastic. The thing that makes it a tad confusing is that every person has their own setup and workflow so it's hard to find specific questions at times. This is very straightforward so thank you for posting.
Old 05-07-2023, 06:54 PM

You're very welcome.

Yes, it's true, the possibilities are pretty mind boggling. I keep thinking I should make a sort of flow chart for this setup, but before I get around to it, I seem to need to change the routing.
Old 05-07-2023, 07:00 PM

Totally. I've taken details notes after this round. I think anything I add will just be a continuation of all of this. It's really all amazing. Just a touch of a button for all these different mixes. Love it. Thanks again