Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2002, 01:09 PM

Default I have an idea for the DUC

Someone with not much experience could post a song they've completed but aren't totally happy with, and then one of the DUC vets; Roy Howell, Big Red Button or dabasstard, whoever, could mix it and we could hear the difference.

Just an idea.

bp
Old 09-08-2002, 01:21 PM

Default Re: I have an idea for the DUC

Aah, you can do it. Nobody knows what you want better than you. You have everything you need before you.
Old 09-08-2002, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roy Howell:
Nobody knows what you want better than you.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Actualy,in my own experience,and this includes myself,the person who created the song usually has not the faintest of how to bring the best out of it.Maybe we get to close,or its a subjective thing,but there is a lot to be said for collaboration.There comes a point in every production when the creator cannot hear it objectively anymore.In my case this is shortly after writing the first line.I get a lot more enjoyment and resultd from working with other people's ideas and voices.

Maybe this isnt such a bad idea,although it will require a benefactor or sponsor to get going,but an anual "001 mixing shootout" can be interesting.

A song can be created and then whoever wants to mix it can have a go and post the results.

Catagories can include most creative mix,weirdest mix,most commercial,or there could be no catagories at all,or no winner either,but at the end of it all the songs can be posted on a single thread or post together and then can serve as an example of people's different approaches.

We'll Im just rambling here,but maybe somebody out there wants to run with the idea.

Now that I am thinking...maybe somebody should record a bare vocal of an original song and post that as a high rate MP3,together with the session tempo,then whoever wants to have a go can download it and doanything they want to it.This will include laying all instruments and mixing the whole thing....

...this might actually be interesting....

You will have to work out your own chords,beat and harmonies.....

I could host the download at my site,we will need another host to host the finished mixes,or perhaps just links like the latest stuff thread.

I think its worth giving a shot...

I am posting at a new thread.
Old 09-08-2002, 02:05 PM

Last, thats a great idea,I think it would be fun.
Old 09-08-2002, 02:23 PM

It's a fun idea and gets done on other forums all the time, but under more of a 'remix' topic. No new tracking. Just mixing, cutting, etc.

I actually think it would be totally fun to donate a bunch of audio tracks from some tune and have many people cut them up, rearrange, whatever they wanted to do in a remix sense.

This gets done over at the Acid site a lot. They have contests. Go listen. There's some great stuff there.

I agree with Peter, there are really difference in the talents required to do good composing and tracking vs. mixing and mastering. Personally I've given up trying to be good at any of it... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Cheers,
Mark