Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2004, 06:42 AM

Default foam coverage in iso booth

hello.

i have recently built an iso booth approx. 5'x7' with a 7' ceiling. i also have ordered enough 2" wedge foam to cover the walls and door 100% with 3" corner blocks to go from floor to ceiling in all 4 corners.

my foam hasn't arrived yet, but now i'm wondering if there is a down side to 100% foam coverage. if the down side is paying for all that foam, i'm not worried about it because i got a good deal and it's already ordered. but are there any opinions out there that it may be too dead?

my main use for this room is going to be recording vocals, acoustic guitar, vo, cello, etc. and in addition to this i have a large room (25'x21' with 15' ceiling) that i will use for more ambient sounds.

thanks for any advise. -jeff
Old 12-03-2004, 07:48 AM

Default Re: foam coverage in iso booth

my exp. is that rooms with too much foam do sound dead and it comes through very clear in mixes the vocales sound lifeless.. i have 6x6x8 iso and have about 70% covered with good results, i ve been told
Old 12-03-2004, 08:54 AM

Hi,

As a rule of thumb, the smaller the space the more dead it needs to be!!!
For vocals, dead is good. It allows for most vocals to be 'adjusted' as needs be later.
For Rock and the like, you might want to use a different space altogether.
Toilets work well for some strange reason!!

Experiment and see for yourself....that's what it's all about.

Hots
Old 12-03-2004, 09:46 AM

Cover it all. There is no acoustic advantge to not covering some of it - after all, it's an acoustic nightmare anyhow: parallel walls, bunch of close corners, standing waves galore - the more you can do to soak it up, the better.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:08 AM

right, thats what i was thinking, and i made it that size and shape on purpose (thinking i would cover it all in foam) like i said i have another room for more ambient stuff when i need it. thanks for the input guys, i feel better now.