Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2021, 01:10 AM

Default Wish list

It’s been several years since I’ve been on the DUC, the last week I’ve maxed out my reading and after a couple of posts and questions I feel I need a vent.

I have been using Ptools for 20+ years. As I stated the other day I’ve spent very serious amounts of money on both macs, Digi/ Avid hardware, plans etc etc.

I’ve been looking for a way to upgrade my protools to the very latest. But my wish list includes being able to run my Control 24.

Why is this so hard???

Ide stay here in a flash, Ide keep investing as I love ptools, but the loyalty is non existent anymore and I feel I’ve been farmed.

I understand technology, I understand moving forward but WHY WHY WHY can’t I have a little respect as a customer paying for a company who isn’t giving back.

If you buy a car and 10 years later get told the wheels won’t work with the new roads,,, my Control 24 cost me as much as a car and I sacrificed so much to get it.

When other companies are trying to get it to work and Avid isn’t what does that do for my want to keep shelling out my money, the industry is in decline and you would think that you try to help each other, that’s important!!

We all help each other or we dissolve.

I’m struggling to make ends meet, yet Ide buy in to a new system if I thought Ide be supported down the track.

I just wish I could be heard, I’m frustrated and on my as@ trying to keep afloat in the industry.

Is it that hard to help with a simple request for a driver for my desk??

Autocad was the Industry Standard cause it was the first.

Micro station blew that away as Autocad did something similar to what’s going on now.

Sorry people.
Old 07-22-2021, 04:41 AM

Default Re: Wish list

You can't expect hardware to be supported forever. If you want to use current versions of PT you're going to need a relatively recent computer which might not even have the ports you need to use the Control 24.

Technology changes and things become obsolete. As Metallica would say: sad but true. Think Firewire.

QAPLA!
Old 07-22-2021, 08:15 AM

Default Re: Wish list

Re the Control 24, you actually do have an option to use it on a modern system, thanks to Nyrinck(not sure on the spelling) and their software that turns the old surface into a HUI controller.

As for the rest, my only suggestion is to try to keep some perspective(IOW, the grass isn't always greener on the other side). Time and technology marches on. Consider: the Midas XL-4 was around $100,000 when new. It also required several outboard racks with compressors, gates and effects, $15K in cabling and a $3K road case for the console. Now, sound companies can't give them away. For many "Pros", its part of the cost of doing business and being competitive. If I were building a PA for my "local cover band", then I certainly don't need to invest that kind of money.

Then consider, I know several folks that still run PT 8/9/10 on older computers, and they make a living with older gear(updates are often an option, and not mandatory).

I totally agree on the recording industry being in a decline, but at the same time, we can now do radio-ready recordings with a tenth(or less) of the investment required 20-30 years ago.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave