Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 11-02-2021, 11:16 AM

Default More Carbon Sync Issues...Must Get Solved...

So today I did two acoustic guitar tracks. Both were sent directly to the main mix out.

When I played back the first track (against a reference track), it was fine. Then I noticed I still had the DSP button engaged, so I turned it off. Now the first track was out of sync. In the edit window you could see the part came in exactly where it should have, on Bar Two, but I was HEARING the audio a good half second early.

What? This has happened before as mentioned in my previous threads on this. We sent a session to engineering at AVID and they came back with a reply about me routing things wrong, which turned out NOT to be true, as later that session worked fine after rebooting Carbon and the Mac.

After doing that today, the first acoustic guitar track played back fine.

Now I went to record a second guitar track, played back, and all was fine...UNTIL...I disengaged the DSP button. Once again, now the SECOND track is playing early.

Again, both guitars are assigned out the main mix outs, no plug ins on the master or the individual tracks.

I have lost more time dealing with this over the months that I don't know whether have a funky Carbon unit or what.

Where do I go from here? Am I misunderstanding something? Once in DSP mode, does the button have to stay engaged even on playback? If I turn it back on, playback is fine. But the first track has DSP button OFF and after restarting plays fine, so it can't be that.

Right now the only way to hear guitar 2 in sync is to keep the DSP button in on playback.

Thx
Tom
Old 11-02-2021, 12:13 PM

Default Re: More Carbon Sync Issues...Must Get Solved...

Just a random thought - do you have something funky switched on like Low Latency Monitoring ? I think that’s an HDX only setting but could be upsetting things….

It should play back in time regardless of which DSP buttons are pressed. That much is certain.
Old 11-02-2021, 06:30 PM

No low latency monitoring menu item any more in Ultimate....it's a major bug, because when the problem happens, a restart usually cures it. This is costing me a ton of time.
Old 11-03-2021, 06:28 AM

Definitely another ADC bug!
Old 11-03-2021, 07:48 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhartman View Post
So today I did two acoustic guitar tracks. Both were sent directly to the main mix out.

When I played back the first track (against a reference track), it was fine. Then I noticed I still had the DSP button engaged, so I turned it off. Now the first track was out of sync. In the edit window you could see the part came in exactly where it should have, on Bar Two, but I was HEARING the audio a good half second early.

What? This has happened before as mentioned in my previous threads on this. We sent a session to engineering at AVID and they came back with a reply about me routing things wrong, which turned out NOT to be true, as later that session worked fine after rebooting Carbon and the Mac.

After doing that today, the first acoustic guitar track played back fine.

Now I went to record a second guitar track, played back, and all was fine...UNTIL...I disengaged the DSP button. Once again, now the SECOND track is playing early.

Again, both guitars are assigned out the main mix outs, no plug ins on the master or the individual tracks.

I have lost more time dealing with this over the months that I don't know whether have a funky Carbon unit or what.

Where do I go from here? Am I misunderstanding something? Once in DSP mode, does the button have to stay engaged even on playback? If I turn it back on, playback is fine. But the first track has DSP button OFF and after restarting plays fine, so it can't be that.

Right now the only way to hear guitar 2 in sync is to keep the DSP button in on playback.

Thx
Tom
Hi Tom,

Sorry to hear this is still causing issues. I will send you a private message to request a few things from you. Thanks.
Berkeley, CA
Old 12-08-2021, 07:52 AM

This seems similar to what I'm experiencing. Did you get resolution?
Old 12-08-2021, 07:58 AM

No I finally sold the unit and moved on...was spending more and more time in Cubase anyway...
Old 12-08-2021, 09:43 AM

2021.12 just out, I hear it fixes Carbon issues. Please update.
Old 12-08-2021, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
2021.12 just out, I hear it fixes Carbon issues. Please update.
Only one Carbon issue mentioned in the release notes, but will try..
Old 12-08-2021, 11:45 PM

I’ve had the same problem often when I’m recording / over-dubbing a track…all is good when monitoring input ( DSP engaged and record enabled )… but when I disengage both the track- occasionally the plays back wildly out of sync.

My primitive response is to click/unclick the DSP and record enabled buttons a few times and it all starts playing back properly.
A little annoying but only happens from time to time…
And always corrects itself with a little fiddling…

Last edited by darkwavo; 12-09-2021 at 01:05 AM.