Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2015, 10:03 AM

Default issue with latest security update for Mavericks

Am I ever thankful for backups. Yesterday I checked for updates to my Mavericks boot partition and there were a few; Safari, a couple of other things, and a security update for OSX itself. I figured it's from Apple so what the hey, right?

Not so fast. The update itself went fine; rebooted and all seemed okay. Opened a PT session. On my 2 bus I have the IK Multimedia TRacks CS shell loaded with some of their plugins as a kind of thing to work into. Well - PT11.3.1 started to take 2+ seconds to start or stop play and the cursor was jumpy on start or stop. Never had this issue before. Looked at the control panel and the compensation icon was lit up red. Looked at the mixer and lo and behold the 2 bus was showing 19000+ samples of delay with the TRacks CS shell and a Blue Cat metering plugin. Made the TRacks inactive (not bypassed but inactive) and the delay comp dropped down to just a few samples. Same thing happened in Digital Performer 9.01 so it's neither daw. TRacks was up to date. Apparently there is something in the OSX update TRacks shell didn't like as all the other IK Multimedia plugins worked no issue. I didn't try all my other plugins as the TRacks thing seemed to solve it.

So today I connected the drive that has my system clones on it and brought back in the Mavericks clone to my system and all seems well. Needless to say I did NOT redo the OSX update.

So a bit of a warning: if you suddenly start having issues after installing the latest Mavericks security update - that's the source of the problem. Which brings up a point that a lot of people miss: have a clone backup of your system. Storage is cheap.

QAPLA!