Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2007, 07:16 AM

Default Anyone here mixing analog?

Hi!
I´m thinking of how to manage to mix through a console without any automation in the board.
I´m used to mix in the box and have total recall all the time.
As I understand you have to do the mix one song at a time. Then going to the next....

How do I solve it if I will be able to do some adjustmens later.
Get an automation console......

Anyway how do you guys work?

Peter
Old 12-11-2007, 07:19 AM

Default Re: Anyone here mixing analog?

Quote:
As I understand you have to do the mix one song at a time.
Am I the only one here who suddenly feels very old?
Old 12-11-2007, 07:26 AM

Well Peter,

mixing coonsoles in the past came with sheets showing the console. You copied those sheets, and each song had a sheet on which you entered the settings. So before you mixed a song it took about 30 minutes to an hour to recap the settings from those sheets.

Timothy
Old 12-11-2007, 10:10 AM

Sheets, well, ofcourse!

It´s nice to see somebody doing it the "old" way.
I´m really consider to mixing on a console in the near future
but guess if I want a console with automation it will be real expensive.

What options are there? I guess Neve and SSL have it, what else?
Old 12-11-2007, 10:11 AM

I´m thinking of how to manage to mix through a console without any automation in the board.
I´m used to mix in the box and have total recall all the time.
As I understand you have to do the mix one song at a time. Then going to the next....

How do I solve it if I will be able to do some adjustmens later.
Get an automation console......

Use the console as a return for your individual Pro Tools audio tracks....do all of your automation in Pro Tools...you could pretty much put all faders on the console at a somewhat equal position...depending on noise...the console becomes a giant summing box for processing and monitoring.........mix through console 2buss to A/D convertor, back in to Pro Tools, and also, possibly an analog 1/2" 2 track, you can process tracks/channels with outboard gear instead of plug ins....without recall on the console, you WILL have to document all of your settings on paper if you want to have the option of recalling at a later date...same for any outboard gear you use....you'll have to have recall sheets for the console and for all outboard gear...pages of paper that illustrate (show to scale) the console strips/channels and outboard gear.....if you choose to work outside the box like that, you really should consider doing one mix at a time otherwise you'll just create a whole lot more work for yourself. Mixing in the box allows you to conveniently jump around between mixes and songs...not as easy to do when you mix outside the box.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Well Peter,

mixing coonsoles in the past came with sheets showing the console. You copied those sheets, and each song had a sheet on which you entered the settings. So before you mixed a song it took about 30 minutes to an hour to recap the settings from those sheets.

Don't forget the half hour it took after working on each song to document what you would read tomorrow.
Jeremy,Regarding feeling old... my wife is a photographer and has met other pro photographers who have never been in a darkroom. There are some who have never shot with film.. as there are very competent engineers who have never edit/spliced a 2" tape, much less put one on the machine.
AARP= Aging Audio Recording Professionals ..... SB
Old 12-11-2007, 11:35 AM

jeremyroberts.....there must be a reason for you to mix outside the box.
Glad to hear about that...
Old 12-11-2007, 01:44 PM

[/QUOTE]
Jeremy,Regarding feeling old... my wife is a photographer and has met other pro photographers who have never been in a darkroom. There are some who have never shot with film.. as there are very competent engineers who have never edit/spliced a 2" tape, much less put one on the machine.
AARP= Aging Audio Recording Professionals ..... SB

[/QUOTE]

And there is a generation of 19 year old kids who have never paid for music in their lives.
But their iPods are full.

ain't digital wonderful and so convenient!!

(singing.................."come gather round people where ever you roam......")
Old 12-11-2007, 11:46 PM

I´m thinking of getting a deecent console like ATB 32, will I get more noise on my recordings?
Or if I set the input levels right it wont be any problem?
Old 12-12-2007, 12:20 AM

Hey puremusic.
I am mixing in the box nowadays, because it is just far more convenient. But it is good to know the old way, and if it's just to know how easy it has become.

But mixing analog does not necessarily mean to miss automation. It has to do with how you set up your mixing console in connection with your outputs. You can still automate in Pro Tools and use "just" the eq of the mixing desk.

And yep take a cup of tea, a pencil and the sheets and draw nice approximate lines to keep the settings - approximately.

Oh god - the old days.

Timothy