Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 03-27-2013, 05:57 PM

Default Avid Tech - Please confirm/ deny: Sidechain inputs are not delay compensated in PT10?

I see they are on HDX systems now (as an option)- is there hope for this been implemented on non- HDX PT rigs?

Last edited by mr xy; 03-29-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:03 PM

Default Re: Please confirm/ deny: Sidechain inputs are not delay compensated in PT10?

Old 03-30-2013, 03:12 AM

Default Re: Please confirm/ deny: Sidechain inputs are not delay compensated in PT10?

I have always had the impression that sidechain inputs have been delay compensated to begin with. Because what are they? A send/buss that is seen as input somewhere. Sends and busses have been delay compensated from day one, as far as I know. I would happily stand corrected if someone has real info.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:51 AM

well they aren't in my system. I'm not sure if they used to be or not - it's not something I used to do as much, and I'm using more high-latency plugs than i used to, which makes the problem very apparent. I would love to know if this is something system specific or if it's a basic shortcoming of the delay comp.

I tend to think the latter, given that in the latest PT update has added a HDX only preference to compensate side-chains.

Could an Avid/digi person please clarify?
Old 03-31-2013, 05:05 PM

Where is the option located in the HDX menu?

I'd like to test this on my HD Native system, but I don't know much about side chaining. What would be a simple way to test this? Besides stock plugins, I have Waves Diamond and C6, if anything from there would help.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:06 PM

Default Re: Avid Tech - Please confirm/ deny: Sidechain inputs are not delay compensated in P

Depending on where the side chain source is coming from and where it is going to, it could very well be way out of time. And there is no way to compensate for this as there is no way to send the future into the past. This has always been a big weakness in Pro Tools, and it is only exacerbated by the active delay method of ADC employed by PT.

The only way to get a completely reliable side chain source is to copy the track you want to use as the source and slip the regions forward in time to get.the required accuracy. This track is only used for the side chaining and doesn't end up in the mix.

Buttdialed by me & Tapatalk

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 03-31-2013, 07:02 PM

Default Re: Avid Tech - Please confirm/ deny: Sidechain inputs are not delay compensated in P

Really? I've not noticed this with C6 and HD Accel.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUCHUNTER View Post
Really? I've not noticed this with C6 and HD Accel.
Possibly because you haven't used any plugs with large processing delays on either of the tracks involved in the side chaining? As long as you're only using plugs with little to no delay, there isn't so much of a problem.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Old 04-01-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Where is the option located in the HDX menu?

from the the 10.3.4 read me pdf:

Automatic Delay Compensation
Delay Compensation may now be enabled for plug-in sidechains in the Operation preferences. (HDX hardware-accelerated
systems only).

i really hope they add this to native systems too.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr xy View Post
from the the 10.3.4 read me pdf:

Automatic Delay Compensation
Delay Compensation may now be enabled for plug-in sidechains in the Operation preferences. (HDX hardware-accelerated
systems only).

i really hope they add this to native systems too.
Hot dang! I need to pay more attention to those read me files.

Even so, I bet I could break it.