Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-1999, 12:13 AM

Default Stolen dongles and authorizers!!!

I work for a post-production company that specializes in Avid and Lightworks systems. We recently decided to get into the Protools business so our LA office hired a Protools "expert" to take care of getting us a Protools system and setting everything up for renting it out. This "expert" it turned out didn't really know that much about Protools even though he supposedly ran his own sound design company in the past. His business connections (if they existed) never really brought us any business and wouldn't matter since the "Protools expert" never really got the system up and running.

To make a long story shorter, we cut ourselves loose of this "expert" and the Protools was shipped to our New York office. The following items are no longer in our posession:

- one Mix Farm card
- one Protools 431 authorizer disk
- one Mix Pack Six Pack plugin bundle
- authorizers for Mix Pack Six Pack
- one Wave dongle

I believe this is approximately $10,000 worth of authorizers/software/hardware. The "Protools expert" claims that he has no idea what became of all these items. I'd like to find out if anyone out there has any other experience like this because right now my company (which is a rental business) has a very expensive word processor since nothing on our Protools works. I'd just like to get some feedback on what we can do since I know that the company is not about to buy everything all over again since they just got into Protools. Thanks.

[email protected]

PS: The "Protools expert" is currently launching his new business- guess what it is?
Old 03-02-2001, 10:02 AM

Default Re: Stolen dongles and authorizers!!!

Can you tell me, please, how did you managed to work Lightworks and Protools together?

Thanks
Old 03-02-2001, 11:12 AM

Since you ownthe PT system up grade to PT 5 or 5.1 You dont need your original authorizers because 5 came w/ new disks. Also it sounds like you bought a PT III system?? if thats true your sort of hosed anyway. If it was a mix system you dont need the farm card to run PT. The other thing is that if the system was already authorized then you don't realy need the disks anymore, however if your expert De-Authorized your system.....
I hate when stuff like this happens -
good luck

SK
Old 03-04-2001, 02:02 PM

So, what was this fellows name? Of course, I'm not asking this question based on anything you may have said that might be considered libel. I merely ask so that we can all give him a proper welcome into our little community. (and then beat him with hoses)
-p