Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2009, 10:43 AM
Banned

Default connecting my MBox 2 to a receiver

Hello

I wanted to connect my MBox 2 to a Kenwood 5.1 surround receiver. if i want to get the sound from my on board sound device i usually plug the audio output to the receiver's CD/DVD audio input. not surprisingly it doesn't work with the L and R monitor output in the MBox, so i figured, i must get a double RCA cable and use the spdif (digital monitor out is it? because my receiver is a digital one to, with all RCA inputs) and that wont work either because the spdif light indicator isnt on either. so how do i get the spdif output to work? or could i with this kind of receiver? maybe there's another audio input in my receiver that i need to try? maybe 'tape play in'?

thanks to anyone who can help!
Old 04-10-2009, 12:12 PM

Default Re: connecting my MBox 2 to a receiver

Are you sure that the audio inputs of your Kenwood that you are using are digital? They may not be. Those RCA inputs are historically line level audio, just like the audio outputs of your Mbox.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 04-11-2009, 07:34 AM
Banned

i have already tried plugging the monitor out to the CD\DVD audio input in the receiver. i know the receiver's input is all fine because it works with anything else. my other inputs are phono (cant be that one), rec out(md), play in(tape), rec out and play in of video 1 and another play in video 2. the cd\dvd looks like the only possibility doesnt it?
Old 04-11-2009, 08:21 AM

But, as Tom stated, the S/PDIF RCA jacks are DIGITAL and the jacks on your receiver are analog, which won't read a digital signal. You need to use the line outputs of your Mbox if you want to feed an analog input.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:08 AM
Banned

you mean the L & R TRS outputs right? thats what i meant when i said monitor out. L&R TRS monitor outputs to RCA CD\DVD in the receiver(the cable i tried is working fine with other stuff to, like connecting a turntable with RCA line otputs to both my TRS(line) inputs in the MBox2 . im sorry if i confused you, im kindda new to pro tools. any ideas?
Old 04-11-2009, 09:49 AM
Banned

as i said, im a newbe in pro tools. so lets say i didnt check everything before i tried to hear anything, but it works fine now. thanks alot!