Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2003, 07:55 PM

Default Re: 0s9

Yep..still on OS9.2 / LE 5.2. Mac's seem to love this combo. I came back to the site to see if i was the only one still using OS9...obviously not!

The issue i think is OSX apparently alot slower running LE...so i for one am going to wait and if Digi get the performance as good for OSX and they have for OS9 - then i'll move on up! but not till then amigos.
Old 11-15-2003, 08:21 PM

OS9 on the 001 for at least another year. When all the bugs are finally worked out of the G5, I'll probably upgrade to the 002R and OSX. And that's just to get rid of the latency when I reach around 30 or 32 tracks.
Old 11-16-2003, 05:29 AM

Default No choice for me

With my slow as hell hardware, even running sessions that were fine with OS 8.6 results in cpu power restrictions in OS 9.2, I think from everything I've read about OS X, It's one big work in progress and every update breaks everything and you need loads of software updates etc... I can't be bothered even touching OS X. I'm sticking with OS 9 with my current mac 'cos I have no choice. When I have a G4, I'll probably buy both panther and the PT 6 update as and when I have the money. Personally speaking, a perfectly working, way faster OS 9 based system is all need.

I took out a loan to buy a dual bootable dual G4 but the bank screwed things up and I'm on a knife edge as to whether they'll be any dual G4s left to buy when it's finally sorted out. I'm going to get VERY stressed at the bank if I miss out.
Old 11-16-2003, 07:12 PM

9.2 w/G4 867 QS
896 MB RAM
Pro Tools LE 5.2.1
Digi 001
Sampletank 2
NI Studio Collection
Pluggo 3...............................on and on

www.christophercorley.com

Works great! And I work for Apple!
Even with the discount I get with them for a new Mac it would still run a boat load to upgrade to a G5 with an 002 rack. As it's still 32 tracks -the 867 QS with that lovely L3 cache is rockin' and rollin' alright.

I AM however having wierd midi problems in Pro Tools. Ever since I installed Sampletank when I switch keyboards from the 001's midi ports it throws it all out of whack. PT's doesn't respond to the keyboard -yet I can pencil draw the midi notes fine.

Midi works well in Logic 5.1.3 (Big Box) and other apps. I've tried trashing PT's prefs, Digi INIT prefs, DAE prefs and even trashed and reinstalled OMS -still screwy!

Any ideas?

Genuinely, Chris

Old 11-16-2003, 07:24 PM

Had to leave OS 9.2.2 and 5.2. I was constantly getting crashes and hangups. It was hell for me, personally.

I'm on 10.2.8 and 6.1.2 now, and my dumpy little 700MHz G3 ibook (a dinosaur by today's standards) is doing location recording for my band. It is handling 10 drum tracks, 6 guitar tracks, 4 bass, and 4 vocals, and I think I could add more if I wanted. It used to max out at about 18 tracks in OS 9.

Not wanting to attract the OS9 flames. I won't get into any "my os is better than your os" wars. Just wanted to comment that my experience has been the exact opposite of some others here. I've gotten more stable and faster since upgrading.