Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 09-21-2021, 01:04 AM

Default S1 constantly losing layout (goes to auto-assign)

Hi,

so this has been bothering be for a long time and it hasn't changed after retiring my Mix/Control combo in favour of an S1 (still not sure if that was a good move, real estate on my desk was better before):

I have 2-3 layouts programmed in my session with my default layout in slot 1 which recalls a few standard channels (dx, mx guides etc.). Every now and then at random times the S1 falls back to all channels set to auto-assigned. Needless to says that I don not want that to happen. I then recall the layout I want with my programmed hotkey and all is back. I then work as usual and after a while the layout is gone again and all channels are back to auto-assigned.

Co-workers have told me it's because EC randomly loses connection to the S1 but I am not seeing that happen. At least not in a way that makes me notice it.

Has anyone seen these random layout hickups? Any trick to stop them from happening?

Thanks!

F.

P.S.: Yes, my layouts are stored and are still available when I relaunch the session. I have also looked at the Eucon Logs and found nothing suspicious, but I have limited knowledge on how to read them. And yes, I'm on the latest EC/PT combo

Last edited by Frank Kruse; 09-21-2021 at 01:23 AM.
Old 09-21-2021, 06:17 AM

Default Re: S1 constantly losing layout (goes to auto-assign)

What are your programmed hot keys for layout recall? The standard layout softkeys in Avid Control?

Is there any chance you’re losing your layout when you press any of these buttons on the bottom of the S6?

See attached picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PNG image.jpg (32.9 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by its2loud; 09-21-2021 at 07:28 AM.
Old 09-21-2021, 06:24 AM

Nope, I'm using the shift color key layer of the S1 to recall layouts and there's also no "all auto-assigned" layout that I made. They are all very specific. But for some reason after a while the faders go to all auto-assigned. The non shifted layer are all non-layout related functions (preview, write to all etc. etc.).

Also note I already had the same problem with the Artist Mix and no S1 so it can't be something controller related.

a co-worker told me it could boil down to corrupted prefs of the EC app or the tablet losing contact to the EC so I have now taken out the tablets just to see what happens. It's all theoretical as there's no way to work without the tablet for hotkeys but I'll see what happens.

thanks!

F.
Old 09-21-2021, 07:22 AM

Got it. Glad you saw where I was going with my questions. Sorry for the issues. Maybe uninstall EuControl including removing prefs and reinstall might help?
Old 09-21-2021, 08:19 AM

Yeah, I'll try that too. Thanks for chiming in!

Frank.
Old 09-28-2021, 03:55 AM

Can confirm this is happening to me as well.
I think I see a pattern of it happening when the app is losing connection.
This didn't use to happen before I had the app connected.

However, my S1 and my Fire HD tabler are both connected to their own router (no internet). So I don't know how to get a more solid connection.
This whole Eucon connection thing is such a mess...
Old 09-29-2021, 09:11 AM
Avid

If the wifi network is setup correctly the tablets do stay connected. We have many cases (on here too) where there have been settings in the router that cause disconnection. One of the worst is the auto switching between 2.6Ghz and 5Ghz for instance. There are many things to look for and its all listed on this page. https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...ontrol-Support
Old 09-29-2021, 09:11 AM

OK, so I think I have found the cause. it IS in fact because of a disconnect but the network is not the cause. Here's what happens:
So I have one FireHD10 assigned to the S1 plus an iPad that I have set to display my hotkey page static which is ergonomically closer to my keyboard.
The iPad I also use to operate my Xilica speaker processor so every time I go to a different app on the ipad and switch back to AVID control Eucon does this little "cough" which isn't really a loss of connection but it seems to re-arrange it's attached devices and this causes the S1 to unload the layout from the S1.

I can reproduce this 100%. In a way it's probably a "disconnect" of the iPad from EC's POV (even thought it's not due to Wifi issues or any of that) but it's totally intended. Slight bummer since the Ipad is a multi-purpose device but at least I now know WHEN and WHY it happens. I know I have to recall my layout every time I did something on the ipad in between that was outside AVID Control.

But maybe this can be fixed in a way that after the "cough" the last layout can be auto-recalled to how it was? I guess it's a bit of a dilemma since it's a disconnect but it should not lead to the S1 dropping the current layout if possible.

Frank.

Last edited by Frank Kruse; 09-29-2021 at 09:57 AM.
Old 12-08-2022, 11:06 AM

+1
I'm using S1 and Dock with a tablet on each and the S1 keeps losing layouts for me too. I can go back in to EuControl and "recall" the layout, but I'm having to do this frequently. I'm mixing TV series shows and it's driving me bonkers - thus finally stopping for a second and again hoping to find a solution which is how I discovered this thread.
Network isn't an issue on my end (running a dedicated network for the S1/dock/tablets) but I'm really hoping Avid can get enough complaints on this one to address it AND the one that keeps making EuControl randomly not respond and get stuck on the spinning pin wheel of death.
using:
Mac - Monterey 12.6
2.3 GHz 8 Core Intel i9, 64GB ram
Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.10.0
Eucontrol 2022.4.0.78
Old 12-08-2022, 11:33 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiofreq View Post
+1
I'm using S1 and Dock with a tablet on each and the S1 keeps losing layouts for me too. I can go back in to EuControl and "recall" the layout, but I'm having to do this frequently. I'm mixing TV series shows and it's driving me bonkers - thus finally stopping for a second and again hoping to find a solution which is how I discovered this thread.
Network isn't an issue on my end (running a dedicated network for the S1/dock/tablets) but I'm really hoping Avid can get enough complaints on this one to address it AND the one that keeps making EuControl randomly not respond and get stuck on the spinning pin wheel of death.
using:
Mac - Monterey 12.6
2.3 GHz 8 Core Intel i9, 64GB ram
Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.10.0
Eucontrol 2022.4.0.78
These are two different issues. The Layout Autoassign is due to be fixed in the next release after the one next week. Make sure you keep EUCON up to date as MacOS updates continually change things and we have to fix every release.