Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 09-20-2021, 05:34 AM

Default certain plugins crashing PT

I've used the Raum Reverb plug-in from NI and the AirEQ and InfinityEQ from Slate for the past year or so with no issues, but all of a sudden, these plugins crash my sessions. I've tried un/reinstalling them and updating them but they just keep crashing, which is annoying because I use them a lot.

I've tried googling but nowhere has what I need, any help would be appreciated

also I am on Win10, Ryzen 7 and 32GB RAM, I can't remember specifics but it's a very good PC so shouldn't really be having this issue
Old 09-20-2021, 06:27 AM

Default Re: certain plugins crashing PT

Hi, welcome to the community.

Yes, you are right. Even one badly behaving plugin may crash PT even if it is only loaded into memory and not used in a session. That however should be addressed by the plugin makes, it is not PT issue.
Old 09-21-2021, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
That however should be addressed by the plugin makes, it is not PT issue.
but I am having this problem with different plugin manufacturers and only on pro tools, therefore surely the common denominator here is pro tools?

when I use these with OBS there is no problem, is there some form of plugin troubleshooting I can do? literally any help other than "not our problem"?
Old 09-21-2021, 04:40 AM

Well yes and no.

Some plugin vendors do not really code for AAX and AU and VST separately, but instead code once and wrap later. That kind of shortcut may cause troubles fast.

So while common denominiator may seem to be PT, the fact still is even ONE bad plugin may cause trouble in PT and even if not used in a session -- it is perfectly enough that the plugin is loaded into memory.

Troubleshooting would be throwing all plugins to unused folder, then move them back one vendor at a time. Once you hit trouble, you know which one it is. Move it back to unused, continue moving others in and confirm the problems stay away. Then start moving that vendor's plugins in once by one. Same thing, once you hit trouble, you know that plugin caused it. Once you have pinpointed the problematic plugin, contact that vendor and ask for help.

Needless to say plugin versions must match PT version.