Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 12-28-2002, 08:15 AM

Default Anyway to use the footswitch to activate recording?

Is there no way to simply arm a track for recording, and then use the footswitch to activate the recording process?

I'm not really wanting to 'punch in', i'm simply just wanting a way to start the recording process via the footswitch. Currently i have to hit the record button, then run over to my booth to lay down vocals, is there no better way?
Old 12-28-2002, 08:43 AM

Default Re: Anyway to use the footswitch to activate recording?

I think if you have the appropriate tracks armed, you can just press the footswitch and it will start recording until you press the switch again, using loop mode you could do several takes but I think that is as good as it gets with the switch, maybe somebody knows a way to do more using MIDI, is that possible? [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-28-2002, 09:18 AM

hmm, what recording mode would that be in?

in normal recording mode if i arm a track, and even hit the record button (so that it blinks) i hit the footswitch nothing happens. only way i can seem to get the footswitch to respond is in quickpunch mode, but even then i have to start the song by hitting the play button, the song starts playing, i run to my booth and hit the footswitch and it activates record but this really doesn't help me any.

thanks
Old 12-29-2002, 12:16 AM

I use a product called midi-translator which is free....
I couldnt figure out how to program my midi footswitch (Behringer FCB1010) with protools so all you do is tell midi-translator to "learn" the midi controller and then type in the actual keystrokes that you would normally apply.

In the software it says: "press midi switch desired"...[it then registers the sysex] and then litaerally type the keyboard command you would like to execute so you just select the combination of keys you would press normally.

Example: Footswitch #1 will execute a <spacebar> command to begin playback or stop. I have ten switches so I can control the entire transport as well as a few other functions like "new track"...
Old 12-28-2002, 02:49 PM

cool, it does look like with midi i could accomplish what i need, as there is that paused midi 'waiting to record' button, so now all i need is a midi footswitch that would simply send any type of midi message and i would b in biz.

another q tho: does anybody know of a simple midi footswitch like that? i'm sure this behringer would work fine but it's $130, looks like it has a ton of features but would b overkill, i just need a simple on/off switch hopefully for like 20 or 30 bucks?

i wonder do they make any sustain pedals that work via midi?
Old 12-28-2002, 03:30 PM

How about this.
Take a foot switch and connect it to a solenoid with a battery for power. Mount the solenoid just above the space bar on the keyboard.
If you press the foot switch the solenoid will press the space bar for you and start recording.