Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2014, 09:16 PM

Default Any VI's Currently Turning Your Musical Crank?

I'm in the mood for a new VI… just to enlarge the musical palette and hopefully inspire some new ideas.

Anything lighting your fire these days?

Just to save you suggesting them, I already have: Komplete 8, Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, LA Scoring Strings 2 (& Sordino strings), Xpand2, Kontakt 5 (with Studio Drummer, Nostalgia, Chris Hein Horns Compact, NI Vintage Organs & the usual Komplete 8 kit), Ivory II Grand Pianos, MOTU Symphonic Instrument and I can't remember what else.

I figure you'll ask me "what music genre?" and the answer is: I do custom jingles mostly… so EVERY conceivable instrument has potential for use.

So… plug your favourite plug-in. I'm listening!
Old 06-23-2014, 03:58 AM

Default Re: Any VI's Currently Turning Your Musical Crank?

Synthmaster 2.6.16 is a new favorite

Another that gets massive use here is EWQLSO Play version for orchestral, Ra for ethnic instruments and Stormdrum 2/Pro for percussion. EW has Stormdrum 3 which is a completely different set of instruments but don't have that yet.

QAPLA!
Old 06-23-2014, 07:08 PM

I'm a big fan of Camel Audio's Alchemy. It has many unique sound libraries (Iceland, Digeridoo, Bandura) as well a wide range of libraries with more traditional type sounds. But the real power is that instead of being a more or less passive rompler type sample player, it really is a powerful synth where you have massive amounts of programmability using the many samples available. Almost anything you can imagine can be created.

The one downside (right now) is that its still VST...but it hosts nicely in either Reaper or in Blue Cat Audio's Patchwork. And the AAX version is coming "soon"....

Given the type of work you do, I think you'd find this a great addition.

Old 06-24-2014, 04:11 AM

The one thats on multiple tracks in every session for me is Nexus2.
It's sounds great to my ears and I can easily have 60+ tracks without the CPU breaking a sweat at 25%.

Also use Sylenth1 and Xpand2! in every session.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
I'm a big fan of Camel Audio's Alchemy. It has many unique sound libraries (Iceland, Digeridoo, Bandura) as well a wide range of libraries with more traditional type sounds. But the real power is that instead of being a more or less passive rompler type sample player, it really is a powerful synth where you have massive amounts of programmability using the many samples available. Almost anything you can imagine can be created.

The one downside (right now) is that its still VST...but it hosts nicely in either Reaper or in Blue Cat Audio's Patchwork. And the AAX version is coming "soon"....

Given the type of work you do, I think you'd find this a great addition.
I thought Camel wasn't doing aax ports?

Something to add is Thor inside Reason rewired into PT. Massively flexible synth that isn't hard on cpu usage.

QAPLA!
Old 06-24-2014, 05:30 AM

Hybrid 3. It Fn wicked!!!! I downloaded it today. You mentioned inspiration.. well to me that even surpasses Omnisphere on that front. Everything you need for trance, house and above all..pop with a capital "P". It is so freaking commercial and the pads shimmer with more sparkle than tinkerbell's wand!

Man its a great synth and doesn't choke your cpu either, unlike Omni you can do several instances. Man, I cant praise that synth enough. I have several and that is by far the best, better than any Native Instrument with heaps more variety.

Im guessing you were disappointed when you first got a taste of Komplete and it's lack of usable polysynths. Well you ain't gonna have that problem with Hybrid I guarantee it. More poly than you can poke a freaking stick at! beautifully glazed in perfection. If I could have sex with that synth I would.
WD Black SATA 7200
ASUS SABERTOOTH X79
Windows 7 Ultimate 64
Mbox3 Pro Firewire 400
ProTools 10.3.8
ProTools 11.3.1

https://soundcloud.com/matthewcrowe
Old 06-24-2014, 09:24 AM

Some excellent and inspiring suggestions here. Hybrid3 for sure is going on my shopping list.

I really miss the instrumental variety that my Korg Trinity offered me, from harps to harmonicas. I guess Xpand2 is the closest thing to that. Are there any other sample/synthesis (rompler?) plug-ins that are AAX Native 64 bit worthy of consideration?

-dB
Old 06-24-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
Some excellent and inspiring suggestions here. Hybrid3 for sure is going on my shopping list.

I really miss the instrumental variety that my Korg Trinity offered me, from harps to harmonicas. I guess Xpand2 is the closest thing to that. Are there any other sample/synthesis (rompler?) plug-ins that are AAX Native 64 bit worthy of consideration?

-dB
Yeah, Nexus2.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I thought Camel wasn't doing aax ports?
That is incorrect. They are coming out with AAX versions of CamelSpace and CamelPhat (both in beta test right now) an later Alchemy 2.0 will include an AAX version.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:33 PM

I've been having fun with Nexus2 and the Papen VIs. Hybrid 3 is also very cool.

Have you tried any of the UVI sampled instruments? I get a lot of use out of them.