Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 03-18-2021, 02:08 PM

Default How to delete un-used recordings on a track

When I'm recording on a track, I'll do several takes to get it the way I want it to sound. Every time I do a new record, it saves it as something like "Acoustic Guitar 1_39-01". And where I have "39", that keeps increasing by one for every recording on the track. For all of the old takes that are useless, how do I fully delete them from my project? While it wouldn't effect the song, it feels like a waste of space.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-18-2021, 02:45 PM

Default Re: How to delete un-used recordings on a track

I think you should not worry too much about these megabytes. As long as your drive is not filling up, don't worry about it. Waste of time.

But, since 20 years ago, when disk space was much more scarce, we used the clip bin menu for clearing up space.
Typically, when I had finished a project and wanted to archive it with only the audio used, I chose "select unused audio" in the clip bin menu, then choose "remove", then "Save session copy..." in the file menu to create a new session folder with only the audio in use.

Of course, you could "select unused audio" in the clip bin and delete manually, but it makes little sense as we have plenty of space these days.

Remember, in the clip bin, whole-files are displayed in bold. If you want to retrieve disk space, these are the ones you want to delete.

IIRC, deleting them just moves them to the trash can. You must emtpy it also.
Old 03-19-2021, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Typically, when I had finished a project and wanted to archive it with only the audio used, I chose "select unused audio" in the clip bin menu, then choose "remove", then "Save session copy..." in the file menu to create a new session folder with only the audio in use.
What Ben said is the best way to do a bulk delete.
Shortcuts = Command+Shift+U (select unused audio) Command+Shift+B (remove). Important to know that you must have all the files in your clip list visible - if you've done a search for a clip, you need to clear the name from the search dialog box.
Old 03-19-2021, 09:32 AM

And a little more to think about:
I tend to agree that drive space is cheap and I don't worry about amassing a lot of unused clips while working on any project. BUT, when it comes time to put that project away(when its finished and I have the final product for a client or for myself), then its time to do some cleanup, and archive the session(s). That's when I will go thru do a few things, such as:
1-render(with Track Commit) and VI tracks(midi stuff)
2-consolidate all audio tracks back to zero
3-remove unused audio and delete unused tracks
4-go to File>Save Copy>and save this stripped down and "cleaned up" session as "SongnameArchive" and this session will be copied to at least 2 backup drives, as well as to a drive belonging to the client, or maybe DVD-R(if its my own work). The original final version(with everything) also gets moved to a backup drive. I know this seems like extra work and uses a lot of space, but as someone that has been bitten(more than once) by data loss, I tend to err on the side of redundancy Remember, there are 2 kinds of computer users; those that have lost data, and those who WILL LOSE data(its only a matter of time)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-19-2021, 09:43 AM

I've always been an archiving fanatic, and now, I'm so glad I've been. I'm diving into 20+ years old multitrack sessions and remixing and having fun. Perfect, as I don't work anymore and in addition I'm, like many of us, mostly in isolation and really feeling the frustration. Luckily, I still have a small PT setup at home and my large archive of recordings. Some of them pretty good, I must say.
Old 03-19-2021, 09:50 AM

Agree with all above. Yes, I suppose it wastes space, but I don't worry about it much. One thing to add: I like to open the clips bin, select show full pathname, and make sure everything is where it's supposed to be i.e. no clips on some ext drive or flashdrive etc. Then, you can safely archive the session: drap/drop the entire session folder over to 2 (or more) backup drives.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 03-19-2021, 09:56 AM

When I do housekeeping for archiving purposes I select the whole track, consolidate it, and rename it with _ARCH instead of number. Do this for all tracks and then select all unused and clear (not remove, that only removes from clip list. clear also deletes the file). This way I can double-check from the clip list that I am only deleting something I can afford to lose.

Takes more time, but I am sure it pays off if I later need to open that archived session.
Old 03-19-2021, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
They are called Playlists. You look at them in the the Playlist not waveform view of a track. Open the Pro Tools Reference Guide and read up on Playlists.
Hmm...when I try to change Waveform to Playlist, I'm not seeing that option. The only options I see are:
-Blocks
-Analysis
-Warp
-Waveform
-Volume
-Mute
-Pan

I am using Pro Tools First if that makes a difference. I've been searching in all the menus and just can't seem to find anything called "Playlist".
Old 03-19-2021, 01:06 PM

First does not have playlists.
Old 03-19-2021, 03:34 PM

So, it looks like using First is my primary issue. I was looking at upgrading to the standard version and from looking at the AVID site, the minimum requirements for Windows is 16GB of RAM. My machine has only 8 GB of RAM...has anyone had experience using Pro Tools on a machine with only 8 GB of RAM? Any issues with it?